HybridZ

72 240Z, need opinions

Parts on that car are worth more then the what they are asking for it. I would pick it up. Worse case you part it out, send the rest to the scrap yard and pocket quite a bit of money.

Bumper, carbs, emblems, lights, center console, all those pieces are quite a bit of money. Even looks like there is a roll bar in there.

As the base for a project, I don't think that is a good idea unless you are a confident welder with sheet metal. Floors usually means frame rails, usually also means rusted out dog legs, dog legs also tend to mean rear quarter panels. Then the hatch and the battery tray area are also going to need repair. 

The parts I see are worth more than the price. The rust I see would send me in another direction but it depends on your local area. In an area where rusted out Zs are the norm that might be an OK car to start with. In my area I would spend a little more and get a body that did not need so much work.

I would jack it up and look under it. It could be a steal at $300, even if you end up just parting it out and scrapping the rest. But Wisconsin would see a lot of water and road salt, so you will want to get a good view of the undercarriage... Floor pans and frame rails aren't too bad to replace, but you could be looking at a lot of rot elsewhere that may not be worth it.

Competent is good, but I guess committed might be a better word? I mean with floors and rails as I'm sure you know if you have done them before, it is a pain in the arse to do them from the bottom, so a rotisserie and such can take up a lot of room, and the time to scrape off all the undersealant and all that can be quite tedious. I guess it depends on how much time and effort you want to throw at it. If you have a couple years, then I don't see the harm, if you want to run and drive it before the summer is out and you have a full time job, then that may not be the best starting point.

I think poking and prodding the underside would be a good idea if you really plan on fixing it up. Making a list of all the parts that need replacing and adding it up, factoring in time and money, then seeing if that could net you a better starting base is always a good plan.

My temptation would be to buy the car, take all the hard to find/monetary parts, scrap/sell the chassis, then go shopping with your bigger budget.

• 3 months later...

Jump on it.  I just missed out on a 73 240z for $1500 no floor boards and rails and i thought that was a steal. i ended up with my first Z a 1977 280Z for $3000 obviously alot better shape but i still would have liked the 73 as well