1 reply to this topic

#1 Pickles

Pickles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMemphis Tennessee

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

So, I have a 1982 280zx N/A that is completely stock. I bought the car with a half way done clutch job, so unfortuantely, I've never heard how it is supposed to drive. Ever since I've had it, it has had a really bad miss, but it seems to be at low rpms only. The car doesn't have to be on the road, I can simply hit the gas in neutral and make it miss. I have a video of it here I hope it comes through well. The problem goes away if I hit the gas hard enough. (I didn't make a video of this, but I can do that tomorrow if its needed) It has new plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I have also calibrated the AFM with the water test. I also replaced the gaskets for the fuel injectors (completely separate problem that has been solved) I've spent hours, and I mean hours looking for a vacuum leak. I found a couple very small ones, but nothing major. Unless I'm completely missing an area of the engine (which is possible I suppose) then I don't think I have a vacuum leak. I just need some direction. I was thinking maybe the vacuum advance or something? I'm really not sure. I also plan on checking fuel pressure tomorrow. Some direction would be great. If there is anything that I forgot, feel free to ask. Thank you.

#2 Milenko2121

Milenko2121

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationNV

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:13 PM

Have you done these yet?

1. Compression Test - should be pretty equal to each other varying by 5-10psi at most, you're looking for equal compression not high scores here.

2. Fuel Pressure Test - should be 32psi with vacuum hose off and then it should drop in pressure as it is vacuum referenced.

3. Ignition timing - get a timing gun on it and check what your timing is currently set at 800rpm idle. I believe base timing should be 8-10deg for N/A L28.

1977 280zt with '87 Z31t ECU, CLSD and S14 SR Transmission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users