HybridZ

Any ways to protect myself from PayPal fraud?

dpuma8

I received a call from someone across the United states asking about specific Datsun items I am selling on craigslist. He wants to paypal me money for a fidanza flywheel and hood vents. He seemed like he knew about Datsun. I don't want to ship my items only to have the PayPal payment reversed and then my items are gone.

Is there a way to protect me as a seller? Does selling the part on ebay makes things easier? Any ideas? He isn't a member of any z car sitest but claims he has a perfect ebay rating

I sell a lot on craigslist and ebay and get a lot of request like this.

Most of the times they are scammers because they are too stupid to notice that they are responding to my different ads.

If they offer you extra money for what you are selling its a scammer.

As far as paypal goes, they can reverse the charge back to you within 20 days if the buyer says there is a problem.

Ebay has some protection with feedback but if you have a problem it can go both ways.

Best scenario is to have them send you ONLY a USPS money order for the exact amount, and you only ship after you have cashed it.

ritrebor

For what it's worth, I regularly browse craigslist around the country under certain keywords. I bought my camera off craigslist in another state. Contacted, seller was willing to ship. Paypal sent and was shipped the next day. 

I wouldn't read too much into the fact someone not local is looking at your ad. But do be careful, the money order is probably a good option. 

• 2 weeks later...