HybridZ

Crap's number 2 - 280z 5.3

So picked up this little red 77 280z a couple months back on the cheap. Had some electrical issues which the PO's claimed was bad ignition switch. Turned out to be some weird hotwiring they devised that of course didn't work, luckily I am an electrical engineer so it took 30 minutes and $20 to put back to original working order. A couple other minor issues kept it from driving but now it runs. So now I can enjoy the l28 engine right?! Nope v8 acquired swap commencing, if u need a l28 let me know!
IMG_20160410_183442678_zpsk6zuxnve.jpg

IMG_20160618_154641179_HDR_zpsgrr8wkmc.jIMG_20160618_154621485_HDR_zpsxlvjeeok.jIMG_20160615_171057902_zpszqrfblot.jpg

And for the donor 

IMG_20160615_171308996_zpsh6xrwf5s.jpg

IMG_20160618_154800258_HDR_zpsay6u8yte.j

Its a 2007 LH6 5.3 liter. All aluminum but with DOD, luckily I have already acquired all the stuff to delete the DOD and replace it with LS3 parts. Should produce about 400bhp when its done.
Transmission will be the 4l60e auto for the wife. Going to go with CX Racing swap components, probably a different muffler this time though, the one they provide is pretty race car.

Edited by crapforum

• 1 month later...

So things changed direction and I decided to weld in some custom mounts. Wanted to keep the stock AC compressor since when looking for one that fits my 240z LY6 swap has proven to be very pricey. I used biscuit style mounts and welded them to the frame rail, getting it as low and far back as I could. The motor is offset about 1/4" to the passenger side for a little better weight distribution. 

I had rebuilt the heads and swapped in an ls3 cam and valvetrain as well as an ls3 oil pan. If anyone was wondering the 07 Trailblazer had the AC compressor mount to the oil pan :( but luckily I had the AC compressor and mount from my LY6 handy (07 Silverado) and that bolts to the engine block. Also I have a decent bit of pan hanging below the crossmember, will try to measure it. But to the guy saying a Cadillac pan fits flush, f off, stop spreading lies. My F-Body pan is flush on my 240z and that pan is like an inch shallower than the Cadillac. 

IMG_20160730_182629195_zpsriruqmyf.jpg

IMG_20160730_184834184_zpscgxlyzcj.jpg

In the process of working out that tranny crossmember. Think I will try to make a cradle type mount similar to what CX Racing did. Also was bummed that I cant use the CX racing headers (or so it seems). Eyeing it up on my 240z it hugs very close to the bellhousing and front of the tranny on the t56/TR6060, the 4l60e seems a bit fatter in these areas and then the tranny pan so seems it wont work. Will probably modify the stock exhaust manifolds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone wanted some more details:

Exhaust is stock truck manifolds, with flanges cut off and downpipe welded to them. Dual 2.5" into 3" out the back

External fuel pump with corvette regulator

Stock 280z tranny crossmember drilled to bolt to 4l60e (t56 has same mount spacing) and then ears made and welded to tranny tunnel to fasten it

Ebay knock off Champion radiator with tranny cooler

LS3, cam, springs, oil pan, pushrods, valley cover

Stock TBSS style intake and manifold

Stock trailblazer shifter

Modified stock wiring harness.

Shortened Aluminum Trailblazer driveshaft

Car drives well, no vibrations, quite fast.

Dealing with a shift flare between 2-3 on WOT, maybe overfilling tranny a little will solve it, maybe need a new servo or something.

Bumping up the shift pressure 5% for the 2-3 shift seemed to help a little

--update* Tranny fluid was low, dipstick kept reading in the middle of the cold mark, kept adding more and more fluid, kept reading the same. Ended up having to add 5 more quarts to get it to move higher and now it shifts fine. 9 quarts in total added.

Front Caliper is dragging, have AZC kit coming for my 240z, will then put my old 240z fronts on here.

About to grab some speedhut gauges for it, then will focus on mating the trailblazer AC components to the Datsun ones.

IMG_20160904_141209_zpsqimr5ruj.jpg

Passes the 10 foot test. Eventually will get around to modifying the hood to fit. Also have an air dam for the front of it.

Edited by crapforum

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that one as well. I may trying the stokc one with a big electric fan and see what happens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201069725867?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the one I got. It, like the Champion counterpart, come with a odd metric fitting for the tranny cooler that does not exist in the real world. I cut it off an welded an aluminum AN -6 bung on there. Otherwise its awesome, fit is perfect, cooling is amazing, my cooling fan hardly ever cuts on. My 240z has the stock radiator and big electric fan, which is barely adequate. On the real hot days when your not moving much the system can't keep up and can overheat, plus the fan is on all the time. 

I recommend this fan: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-620-118. It is the popular 2 speed Ford fan that moves a shit ton of air, shroud fits the radiator very well, and is very cheap.

• 3 weeks later...