HybridZ

Aftermarket Subaru STI stub axles

DAT240Z

Hey Guys I have found the cause of the rattling sound on the car. It's coming from the driveshaft flang that bolts to the differential. Under hard acceleration the flange is hitting the Ebrake mechanism. I took the driveshaft out and the Ebrake mechanism, straighten the Ebrake bracket replace them and the driveshaft still hits the bracket. Any ideas. If all else fails I am contemplating moving to a brake system it doesn't work anyway. When I got the car it did not have the differential . I've never had an issue with the drive shaft and e-brake mechanism until I did the swap. Do you guys recommend get a new strap and try that I'm not sure how much power or Torque this new engine makes over the stock engine.

I did install a new stock diff. Mount when I did the swap

post-218-0-95143500-1469122855_thumb.jpg

Edited by DAT240Z

How can the diff nose do anything if there's no power being transmitted to the rear wheels?  You went from incomprehensible problems to hard acceleration with no explanation.

This is the oddest thread I've seen in a while.  You have three nice car, I have one old one.  Why do I bother thinking logically?

I dont recall the diff being that close to that lever. Is your transmission tucked up higher? That would be something to ask people running the same swap kit or the people that supplied the swap kit.

Newzed is pointing you in the right direction, the standard mount is not all that great especially if you are putting high amounts of torque and hp to the ground. 

Is it functioning fine now? I guess the driveshaft rubbing on that bracket could cause the car to feel like it is catching or something in the rear.

I think that this car is just an L6 with Nissan manual transmission and Subaru R180.  The whole thing is kind of bizarre.

I have a new theory - the CV axles are too short and pull out while driving.  Hence the twisted axles and missing or broken clips.  Doesn't explain the propeller shaft not moving while the car is in gear and engine running though.  Maybe the propeller shaft is too short also.

• 2 weeks later...

I have three 240z and a 67.5 SPL/2000 Roadster with solex package. My 70 240z is all stock with 54k documented miles,71 240z with a Ls1 out of a 2002 ss Camaro and the 71 240z I am working on now, I thought it was going to be an easy build now becoming a nightmare . I have not updated my profile in quite a few years

Easy to get lost in what's going on.

I placed the wheels back on the car and took the car off the jack stands with the transmission in 1st or neutral and the wheels on the ground the driveshaft isnt turning. I tried to turn the half shafts by hand while the car was on the jack stands couldn't get a good grip on both at the same time. I tried to turn them one at a time and couldn't.I placed a screw driver in between the u joints and was able to turn the axels both turn in the same direction. I made a video of the car on jack stands hope this helps.

The first video here shows the engine.