HybridZ

Retro Spec Spoiler - Honest Review

appleslicer

Hi guys,

About me

I'm new to these forums, and will be posting a build log soon for my 1972 240z project. I just wanted to quickly post up a review over a company that my friends and I haven't really heard of before getting one of these cars.

Why I ordered this part, and chose Retro-Spec

I wanted a spoiler for my 240z, and figured I wanted to get a nice lightweight one so that my hatch and strut wouldn't have to put up with a weight acting as a lever on the end. (This car will be my new DD). So I searched around and decided I wanted to give the company Retro spec a try. I did so as a test to see their quality and service since they have various goodies for our cars, and didn't want to drop a fortune on them until I was sure they were worth it.

I want to make a note that I don't want the look of carbon fiber on my build, so any composite pieces will be painted appropriately. However, some of you may want the look of bare carbon fiber, so this review may be worth while.

Ordering Process

There is two websites, and a Facebook page. The two websites are a little conflicting. One has a self check out, the other has a notice to email them for part ordering and information. I didn't see the second site until after I ordered from their self help website. To me, its unnecessary to have more than one site, and at first, was concerned I just bought from a fake site, so emailed them to confirm and got a response shortly after . I was kindly informed not to worry, and that my order was already being processed, and to check out them on Facebook, if I have it. (I don't) So they do respond, and quickly, which is good.

Cost

I paid 279.99 for a carbon fiber tail with shipping to Oregon. Not bad.

Shipping Review

I ordered 5/14/2016, and today (6/27/2016) got the package. A little over a month turn around time, but I don't mind for composite pieces. I understand it takes time. However, I didn't get any tracking information, and the "shopping notice / receipt" email that was sent claims it will update itself to show current status. It never changed to show it shipped, so today before I got it, it still said "order processing". Its important to me to have shipping information so that I can be sure to be there when the part comes, as well as ensure it wont be stolen when delivered. So this is a negative to me.

Quality

Okay and now finally about the part. I will explain first, then show pics. The spoiler looks good from afar, no noticeable problems such as being wavy or anything.

post-52112-0-65117700-1467079564_thumb.jpeg

Up close, the carbon fiber is flawed a bit in some places. However the real problem comes from the resin. Its fish eyed in places, has some type of lines running across from the mold, is not very smooth, and has some bubbles. What makes matters worse, is a few chips and pits. See the corner in the picture below. The pictures dont really do it justice how unpolished and rushed the part looks.  :(

post-52112-0-89118800-1467079570_thumb.jpeg

Overall

Not bad for the cost. My friends agreed that for the price, its just fine. The cons such as the turnaround time, lack of shipping updates, and the fact that the carbon fiber can never be left raw and unfinished due to its poor appearance may be a definite negative to some. Like I said above however, I don't care for the look of it for this particular project, but its still sad none the less. I will be giving this part some good sanding and so forth before it gets painted.

Will I buy from Retro-Spec again? 

I'm really not sure. I haven't tried all the other options out there, so I will probably try another company for a competing part.

That's it for the review guys. I cant wait to post up my build!

post-52112-0-40758700-1467079570_thumb.jpegpost-52112-0-89118800-1467079570_thumb.jpegpost-52112-0-28118900-1467079571_thumb.jpeg

post-52112-0-63998900-1467079571_thumb.jpeg

Edited by appleslicer

You get what you pay for. The Datsun crowd (myself included) doesn't like to pay premium prices, so you get companies that take short cuts. The corner sucks, but it looks like you could put some work into it and smooth out the small marks. 

Detailed review though, haha. 

Yeah, I didn't tell them anything regarding painting the part. And yes, it can all be smoothed out when its time for bodywork and paint.

The overall point is that if you are wanting to have a part to show off the carbon fiber, I'd try MSA next time. That's all.

I would be mad. I got a front air dam from them in fiberglass and it was very well done, it was packaged very good and fit much better then the msa one that I was going to use. It did take a long time to get. I might try them again for a fiberglass dash.

I actually had the same issues with my fiberglass spoiler that I ordered from them. The edges are starting to separate already. Not too concerned about it as it won't take much work to repair... But it still sucks. I'll see if I can upload a picture when I get home.

On the other hand, my air dam that I got from them is top notch.

I don't mind paying premium price if I'm getting a premium part. Almost 300 for a flawed part? Don't think I would be happy. 

This is my point. $300 for a carbon fiber spoiler isn't a premium price. Look at, for example, the Porsche market, and see how they're paying three times the amount for the same product. At that level, it should be perfection. I do like reviews like this, because as the title states, it is an honest, good review. I just like to see expectations in line with reality. 

Edited by fyanrudger

Have you reached out to them?

Their site says they are satisfaction guaranteed.... I mean, it looks pretty good, just could have used another hour or so of prep and finishing... not a HUGE deal... Maybe he will give you a break on your next order or possibly throw in free shipping because of it...

I don't really know if I should say anything to them, but the more I look over the piece, the more I am disappointed. I may sell on craigslist and buy from MSA...I don't know for sure at this point.

There's a moderate amount of work to be done before it can be painted.

There's a moderate amount of work to be done before it can be painted.

Primer filler and a tiny bit of sanding should do the job. In my experience with fiberglass parts (never had CF), it all needs prep work. Your spoiler is fine if you're painting it. 

i had one of their first batches.. i can only hope they improved over time.. otherwise i too wish i just went with authentic BRE (can never go wrong with authentic parts, fitment will always be better).

Mine didnt have any mounting hardware.. so i had to install rivnuts. ANd it also started splitting so i filled it with fiberglass resin, so seems to be holding up better.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDlm3zui-D_/

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

About me

I'm new to these forums, and will be posting a build log soon for my 1972 240z project. I just wanted to quickly post up a review over a company that my friends and I haven't really heard of before getting one of these cars.

Why I ordered this part, and chose Retro-Spec

I wanted a spoiler for my 240z, and figured I wanted to get a nice lightweight one so that my hatch and strut wouldn't have to put up with a weight acting as a lever on the end. (This car will be my new DD). So I searched around and decided I wanted to give the company Retro spec a try. I did so as a test to see their quality and service since they have various goodies for our cars, and didn't want to drop a fortune on them until I was sure they were worth it.

I want to make a note that I don't want the look of carbon fiber on my build, so any composite pieces will be painted appropriately. However, some of you may want the look of bare carbon fiber, so this review may be worth while.

Ordering Process

There is two websites, and a Facebook page. The two websites are a little conflicting. One has a self check out, the other has a notice to email them for part ordering and information. I didn't see the second site until after I ordered from their self help website. To me, its unnecessary to have more than one site, and at first, was concerned I just bought from a fake site, so emailed them to confirm and got a response shortly after . I was kindly informed not to worry, and that my order was already being processed, and to check out them on Facebook, if I have it. (I don't) So they do respond, and quickly, which is good.

Cost

I paid 279.99 for a carbon fiber tail with shipping to Oregon. Not bad.

Shipping Review

I ordered 5/14/2016, and today (6/27/2016) got the package. A little over a month turn around time, but I don't mind for composite pieces. I understand it takes time. However, I didn't get any tracking information, and the "shopping notice / receipt" email that was sent claims it will update itself to show current status. It never changed to show it shipped, so today before I got it, it still said "order processing". Its important to me to have shipping information so that I can be sure to be there when the part comes, as well as ensure it wont be stolen when delivered. So this is a negative to me.

Quality

Okay and now finally about the part. I will explain first, then show pics. The spoiler looks good from afar, no noticeable problems such as being wavy or anything.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160627_184552_01.jpeg

Up close, the carbon fiber is flawed a bit in some places. However the real problem comes from the resin. Its fish eyed in places, has some type of lines running across from the mold, is not very smooth, and has some bubbles. What makes matters worse, is a few chips and pits. See the corner in the picture below. The pictures dont really do it justice how unpolished and rushed the part looks.  :(

attachicon.gifIMG_20160627_184422_02.jpeg

Overall

Not bad for the cost. My friends agreed that for the price, its just fine. The cons such as the turnaround time, lack of shipping updates, and the fact that the carbon fiber can never be left raw and unfinished due to its poor appearance may be a definite negative to some. Like I said above however, I don't care for the look of it for this particular project, but its still sad none the less. I will be giving this part some good sanding and so forth before it gets painted.

Will I buy from Retro-Spec again? 

I'm really not sure. I haven't tried all the other options out there, so I will probably try another company for a competing part.

That's it for the review guys. I cant wait to post up my build!

attachicon.gifIMG_20160627_184422_01.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20160627_184422_02.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20160627_184422_04.jpeg

Which model spoiler is this ?

Hi to the OP, remember we have no question asked a money back guarantee if you want to use it.

Thanks!

Good to see a manufacturer willing to stand behind their product!

Edited by Greeko