HybridZ

Original Tach with ZX Distributor Swap

Hi everyone,

I've read the how to article on here for using a stock tach with the MSD setup and was wondering if anyone had any experience using the stock tach in a 240z with a 280zx matchbox distributor. Looking forward to hearing some results! I'm trying to stick with the stock gauges as best as possible for a period look.

Chris

Some people have no problems, some do.  There's no real tricks to the conversion, the ZX module does what the points used to do.  The tach still sees the current flowing in to the positive post of the coil.  Try it and see what happens.  There's a guy on another forum who said that he had zero issues with his 240Z, it was a simple problem-free swap.

The MSD system is different in how it pulls the current to load the capacitors, I believe (guessing).  It pulls less or more or not as cleanly.  

Some people have no problems, some do.  There's no real tricks to the conversion, the ZX module does what the points used to do.  The tach still sees the current flowing in to the positive post of the coil.  Try it and see what happens.  There's a guy on another forum who said that he had zero issues with his 240Z, it was a simple problem-free swap.

The MSD system is different in how it pulls the current to load the capacitors, I believe (guessing).  It pulls less or more or not as cleanly.  

Interesting. I can't seem to get it to work (early car 11/70 build). I am going to attempt to take a later tach (280z), put it in the early housing and see if that does me any good.

The 280Z tach works from voltage, not current.  So you'll have to wire it correctly.

Offer some clues about how you wired up the ZX system and what, exactly, the tach does or doesn't do, and you might get some help.  It wasn't even apparent that you had the distributor installed from your first post.  And "doesn't work" could mean almost anything.

The 280Z tach works from voltage, not current.  So you'll have to wire it correctly.

Offer some clues about how you wired up the ZX system and what, exactly, the tach does or doesn't do, and you might get some help.  It wasn't even apparent that you had the distributor installed from your first post.  And "doesn't work" could mean almost anything.

I'm running the ZX matchbox distributor in accordance with this diagram. The old tach doesn't move or even bounce now and worked flawlessly before. I'm hoping to either figure out a way to rewire the old tach to make it work or put a 280z tach in the old housing and figuring out how it should be wired.

: StockToZXIng.jpg