HybridZ

T56 Reverse Lock Out Solenoid

Hi All,

Wondering what folks are doing with their reverse solenoid? Very little mention of it here, though on the wide world of the internet it looks thee are lots of opinions. Some people wire it into the brake light switch, others just push harder on the stick. Some modify the solenoid with a smaller spring or cut the sring down.  Others install a module that hooks into the speed sensor and under 5 or 10 mph, it will turn on the solenoid. While I like this last option the most, not sure if it warrants an added $100+.

I just finished rebuilding my trans, and don't like the idea of pushing on the lever hard enough to overcome the spring in the solenoid. Maybe it's fine, but with the trans sitting on the bench, it feels like it'll break something before it'll push that detent in. I pulled the solenoid back out to be sure it was the offending item, and yes it shifts very smoothly into the reverse. Easily enough that I can see going there when trying to hit 5th, especially if I was in a hurry.

Anybody hook it up to the ECU? Would it work fine if I also ran the vss wire to the ECU?

Thanks,

I actually have a push button that I have wired in and when I want to go in reverse I just hold that button. When I let go of the button after I shift into reverse the 12v is cutoff from the solenoid. And you are correct, it's very hard to shift into reverse overcoming the detent spring. It's a pain sometimes but hey it works and it was cheap! Like $10.

After lots of research and a few good ideas (modified STI shifter with reverse lockout going to micro switch to name one). I have decided that the Samco controller for $100 is probably the way to go. Its automatic, can't accidentally leave it on, you don't have to think about it again, it just works. I think that is the path I will go.

I assume this is for those NOT running the factory PCM?

If you are running the factory PCM just wire it up, the car I built works just fine.  Otherwise I like the idea of using a push button, just wire it up with a normally closed micro relay. 

Yep wiring it to the ECU is easy, but make sure your ECU allows it. For my 07 LY6 ECU with 6l90e there is a bug in HPTuners where the speed always reads 158mph, even when you hook up the VSS and change the settings for it in the tune. I just shove it into reverse with a little more muslce, isn't all that hard honestly. On another t56 I had I wired it to a button in the shifter, but the button wires eventually snapped. I like the idea of hooking it into the e-brake