HybridZ

Which car would you buy to upgrade from your Z?

afbrian13

This all depends on funding as I have little to none so the semi big dollar cars I lust for would most likely be out of the picture. Semi expensive, pipe dream and lust worthy cars for me would be Jaguar F type R or SVR, Lotus Evora 400, Alfa Romeo 4C and Porsche 911. More realistic options would first be the BRZ / FRS with a turbo setup, (Crawford Performance is not far away from me), build an 818C from Factory 5 or lastly highly modify an old Porsche 914 with eitherPorsche 3.something engine/subaru wrx/ LS2 swap. Unfortunately California smog laws would have a major impact on modifying a newer than '75 car.

When I was at WORKS Motorsports, we developed the only CARB-legal BRZ/FRS turbo kit on the market. FYI... :)

The car is a blast to drive all kitted out (or bone stock). The WORKS shop car has a Flex-Fuel Stage 2 kit, Ohlins, STI brakes, etc etc. I've driven it on track from stock to modified and it's an absolute beast.

Edited by Leon

If I had to choose a new sports car - The new Fiat 124 Spider.

New Grocery Getter - Current Subaru Impreza hatchback (Fun to drive in 5 speed trim)

If was an older sporty car, R34 Skyline 25GT-t coupe (nothing fancy, just fun)

older grocery-getter - My old '02 Impreza TS wagon (comfy, practical, and cornered like it was on rails)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot to add the last gen RX7 (FD3S) as I love it's timeless shape and light weight. I would modify it with an engine swap of some sort, LS2/3 etc, 2JZ.... as I am not the most confident in the rotary nor a fan of how loud it can be and total gas hog while in the process.

Definately not a Porker on principle, present Jeep Cherokee diesel is fine for a daily, for track use the LS3 280ZX is all my own work so that counts. Nah, I'm fine thanks, Z31 V8 project race car is keeping me engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a RX7 FD LS2 in addition to the Z. The Z 'feels' lighter and just as fast the RX7. I think the Z gets more attention but I do like the looks of the RX and its a bit more modern. 

I wouldn't 'upgrade' from my Z as I don't think I'd sell it to get something else. The other cars would go first. Unless I can find someone wanting to trade their Mclaren for my Z. 

I can't believe I forgot to add the last gen RX7 (FD3S) as I love it's timeless shape and light weight. I would modify it with an engine swap of some sort, LS2/3 etc, 2JZ.... as I am not the most confident in the rotary nor a fan of how loud it can be and total gas hog while in the process.