HybridZ

Float-Sync

Randalla

I've been working on a new product for the last six months that I'd love to get some feedback on. I've always known getting the floats in SU's set properly, and knowing for sure they were set the same in both carbs was important, but the method of doing so always seemed imprecise and less than elegant. I developed Float-Sync to know precisely where floats were set and have a visual reference, without removing the float bowl lids. On three screw SU's, there's a threaded plug in the float bowl that can be easily removed to substitute Float-Sync.

The level of fuel in the float bowl dictates the level of fuel in the jet nozzle. This is a big deal for SU carburetors because the fuel level in the jet nozzle directly impacts engine performance. When the engine is running, a vacuum is created in the SU carburetor venturi that pulls fuel out of the jet nozzle, mixing it with air and drawing it into the engine. If float levels are adjusted too high, fuel puddles at the top of the jet, allowing too much to be drawn into the engine, creating a rich condition. If the float is adjusted too low, it's harder to pull fuel out of the jet, creating a lean condition.

A rich condition can cause plug fouling, poor fuel economy, gas fumes, diluted crankcase oil (contributing to blow by and reduced engine protection), and in extreme cases potential for an engine fire. A lean condition can cause the engine to stumble, back-fire, ping and run hotter than it should, creating the potential to burn valves.

Float-Sync allows you to see precisely where your floats are. You can see the fuel level, with the engine running, throughout the entire RPM range… all without opening the float bowls. You will never wonder again if your floats are adjusted correctly.

I'd be interested in your feedback and suggestions. I listed a few sets for sale on eBay last week to gauge interest. Thanks

Edited by Randalla

Nice looking packaging. Your right, getting proper float height is a PITA.

I don't know if I'd spend $100 (Canadian argh) on something some so simple but in sure there is a small market out there. Especially if your product works with all types of SU's.

I think it is an excellent product and the price point is correct. Brilliant concept. Particularly helpful to any Tuners who do regular work on SU's, both British and Japanese. If I had a Z with SU's I'd certainly buy one.

I used to Tune carbs as a side business, and getting SU' float levels correct has always been a bit of a PITA... and it is of course critical.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I also rebuild SU's and have for years. I was looking for a simple way to make sure floats were set properly before sending the re-built carbs back out. These have worked great for me and for those locally who field tested them for me before I listed them for sale. Wow, I guess I didn't know the exchange rate between the Canadian and U.S. dollar was so far apart.

Nice looking packaging. Your right, getting proper float height is a PITA.

I don't know if I'd spend $100 (Canadian argh) on something some so simple but in sure there is a small market out there. Especially if your product works with all types of SU's.

Actually, it's not all that bad. $64.95 USD = $83.42 CDN at today's rate ( Bank of Canada )

Thanks for your interest madkaw. I sold all the units I had for sale during the first seven day auction. I'll be re-posting additional units in the next couple of days so please check back. I'll post the date here as soon as I have a chance to get them back up on eBay.

The level of fuel in the float bowls is the first step to be taken before making any other fine adjustments to optimize “runability” (other than valve adjustment). In my experience Float-Sync gets you to the baseline as quickly and accurately as possible.  

I learned, like most of us, the way to set float levels is to remove the float bowl lid and measure the distance between the lid and the top of the float when the cover is inverted. What I have since learned is how imprecise this approach actually is (in terms of optimizing engine performance) because of so many variables. Some of those variables include whether the carbs are being run with or without float bowl gaskets, how many turns down the jet nozzles are set, if the float valve is fully opening and closing, if the float bowl lid has short or long ears and if floats are intact and their buoyancy is the same in each float bowl and I’m sure there are a number of others.  

• 2 weeks later...