HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
RebekahsZ

Just registered for the Ohio Mile Sep 30-Oct 2, 2016

RebekahsZ    106

Go to ECTA-lsr.net for info. Location is Wilmington, Ohio. It's a great event for mostly budget, home built fast, no bull-shit cars. Generally no or few production super cars. It's a hobby level event with home built cars that go 200+ in the mile, built by guys just like you and me. The machines are on display in staging, and the cars are built to GO! It's my favorite event on the planet. Everybody is super friendly too. I hope to get my lodging tomorrow. Then there's getting the car ready.....

Edited by RebekahsZ

Michael    1

That is pretty astonishing news!  Wilmington is literally one zip code away from me.  If anyone needs a staging-area or free lodging, let me know.  Unfortunately I'll likely be on business-travel for part of that time, but something could presumably be worked out.

RebekahsZ    106

Test hits-I dunno. No. If I ever get my car back

from chute install I'd like to figure out if it releases right. Im scheduled (with EasTNZ) to go to the GA 1/2-mile 2 weeks before Ohio. But I'm really just going to fellowship with him. The car can't break 150 there, and I doubt they want to wait for me to pick up the chute and create a delay. I may just try it at my local 1/8-mile track to learn how my chute works. But no late night test hits for me. I'd probably hit a deer.

post-5903-0-78301200-1467950467_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ    106

Last minute tidying up. Putting the splitter back on the airdam, installing my press onto the trailer (ready to repair an axle at the track), practicing folding the chute (damn drogue chute). Oh yeah, trying to figure out why tow vehicle is running hot (high speed fan dead?). Hoping to be in the ispection line Thursday night.

RebekahsZ    106

3-day event is over. Packed up and headed home. Made about 10 passes. My best speed for the meet was 173. Fastest speed for the entire meet was 245 for a turbo bike. No safety incidents at the track, no major delays for parts or fluids on track; used left lane throughout event. Major weather delays, but with the 3-day format, it was kinda nice to have time to hang out with the other racers/crews. My axles held up fine, car is no worse for the wear. I made 2 parachute launches: 1at 96mph when the track was still speed restricted due to damp surface, and one at 170mph. On the second launch my chute tether must have gotten crooked in the mount because the chute tether got sliced 3/4 of the way thru. Since I was under 175 they let me continue to run without a chute. Then I spent a lot of time playing with spoilers and radiator openings. Restricting my radiator opening (more than its already restricted opening) netted no mph gain but did net increased coolent temps. Full opening, EVT at finish line was same as starting No opening yielded a temp increase of My large spoiler cost me somewhere between 1-2mph. My fastest speed was achieved with the BRE-style spoiler, even faster than with no spoiler, but this smaller spoiler did not offer a stability improvement-the car was still unstable. With no spoiler at all, the car is simply too unstable to drive at these speeds (much less to go faster)! For my last run, I removed the spoiler altogether and let 'er rip: in a crosswind strong enough that they held the bikes off the track, the car was very scary in 4th and 5th gear, but I soldiered on, then upon lifting off the throttle after crossing the beams, the car moved left far enough and fast enough that I had to cross-steer to keep the car from coming around. It seems that without a spoiler, the lift on the rear of the car is such that the rear gets too light to manage if there is significant weight transfer toward the front. The rear spoiler is on with red locktite.

Edited by RebekahsZ

260DET    25

175mph equals 280kph which is certainly not hanging around. My 280ZX LS3 circuit car is geared for around 270kph which I may reach at the Bathurst Mount Panorama circuit in November. One catch is that at max speed there is a kink in the track, lift or not? I guess we'll find out. Speed is a healthy drug :)

RebekahsZ    106

Thanks, Heavy85!

I think the rear spoiler was really the silver bullet for solving my instability. Did the alignment work help...maybe? I've talked to several guys who have run S30s in my speed range with zero suspension work, so that made me suspicious of the need for all that work I did. The work didn't seem to hurt. I felt really confident having settled down the dynamic toe changes. The higher spring rates kept the splitter off the dirt and allowed me to drop the ass an inch without scrubbing tires without substantially altering ride quality, and the caster makes the car easy to drive with no hands. The caster had one down-side: I backed over a chalk block in my driveway and the steering wheel turned so violently that it almost broke my wrist! The location of the chute in reference to CG wound up perfect, but the chute tether got cut on the bracket, so that was a bust. The car really felt great, so long as I ran the big spoiler. Of course, adjusting that caster (split caster) solved all of the unwanted left turning on braking that I struggled with in the eleventh hour of last minute car prep and I had none of that bad behavior st the track. I really think the spoiler was the key more than anything else. People have been telling me I need a spoiler for years-I finally listened. I didn't want to be one of those guys who slaps a wing and a fat tailpipe on his car just to make it look cool. Turns out spoilers really do have a function. My best is 174, set last June. I ran 173 best this outing. It's weird-I was super consistent at 170-I really don't know where that 173 came from-I couldn't believe it when they gave me the timeslip. That was on a run that was pretty squirrelly when running the shorter spoiler with a big headwind. I hope to do a wind tunnel trip sometime in the next 5 years or so-after I have the power plant needed to realize the aero gains. With the spoiler on, I'm set up to 175 safe and sound-will that alone be enough to stabilize the car for 25mph more...I dunno. I'm hoping to have plastic skirts and a consumable lip on the airdam next year-we will learn a little more from that. Mostly I'm having fun learning. Getting back to normal sleep hours and being in the office this week was pretty tough. Racing in any of its forms it like crack. Big let down to be back in the rat race. Retirement should be fun in about 30 years!