HybridZ

Optimal Engine Temperature

Samurai7one

Is there a rule of thumb for an engine temperature goal? Should I be trying to run as cool as possible or some other temp in order to theoretically make the most possible power.

My setup:

L28 stock bore

P90 head shaved .080"

Flat top Pistons

Crane cam

Triple mikunis 40s

Thanks!

There is a minimum warm coolant temperature you should strive for - 185 degrees F.

Due to radiational cooling overnight, water vapor can condense in the interior walls of the engine. And despite common knowledge, oil and water can mix to a slight degree. Oil can absorb up 1% water by volume. This water can drastically reduce oil lubricating ability and must be removed.

Raising the temperature to 185 degrees is high enough to drive off the water.

Time again to repost all pages  of the cooling thread?

Nissan had three thermostats available for the L-Series:

72C Tropical, 82C Temperate, 85C Frigid

Unless you are in Canada, the top two likely will result in boiling at the rear cylinders and detonation unless you have a stout pressure cap and no leaks in the system. The temperature  at the CHTS is about 20 degrees higher than the thermostat outlet.

Meaning a 160F thermostat (72C) is running 180 minimum, and more likely 190 when fully opened in the back of the head.

A 180F thermostat (82C) is running 200 back there, and will require antiboil as well as a minimum 16# cap if it gets hot.

A 185F thermostat (85C) is running the adibiatic ideal of 205 in the back of the head, and if you are trying to do it in hot temperatures you likely will be boiling the fluid back on #5/6, and I wouldn't even TRY that thermostat in the summer without a 24# radiator cap and good anti-boil along with Water Wetter...

Oil temperatures are  generally 20F higher or slightly more than water temperatures, so you will look at temperatures of 210, 220 and 230 with the respective thermostats. Anything over 200 will flash water vapor handily in all but the shortest of trips.

Unless you are in Northern Canada with -40 for months on end, I'd not run the hottest spec thermostat.

All EFI controls use 170F as a trigger point for full engagement, so there are no  cold start issues, nor EGR/etc enabling with the Tropical Thermostat almost anywhere in North America during the summer. The further south you go, the less you need the higher heat.

Edited by Tony D

Thanks for the input guys. I put in a 160 degree thermostat (I live in Louisiana & run a/c) it made a huge difference. I had been upgrading my cooling system over the last year but never changed the thermostat. it's never run cooler. The lower temp thermostat was the key to allowing the other upgrades to actually work.

Make it three that read it the same way. Generally when you make a lined list, things then are referred to graphically. I agree it's correct either way, but I think consensus is that intuitively "top two" was top two on the lined list.

This thread was actually done 5 replies ago  :lol:

******* Hell, there you guys go: "HOTTEST TWO"

Happy now?

Made for the kids looking at the picture books...sheesh!

I like how "I'm Wrong" by explaining what I meant. 

And THIS, gentlemen, is why projects go on in secret these days...

We survived before the internet, and we do just fine without it now, and the bevy of people who want to tell you how you're 'wrong' whilst explaining your meaning, your intent, to your words.

Some people are just confused as hell with "Raster Display"...

Edited by Tony D

******* Hell, there you guys go: "HOTTEST TWO"

Happy now?

Made for the kids looking at the picture books...sheesh!

I like how "I'm Wrong" by explaining what I meant. 

And THIS, gentlemen, is why projects go on in secret these days...

We survived before the internet, and we do just fine without it now, and the bevy of people who want to tell you how you're 'wrong' whilst explaining your meaning, your intent, to your words.

Some people are just confused as hell with "Raster Display"...

Wow.  You need to get over yourself.  Someone asked for clarification and you were an ******* to them, so people politely let you know that they interpreted it the same way and you continue to insult everyone else involved.  Half of good communication is sending a clear message, and you aren't as good at it as you think because this is far from the first time I've seen it happen.  

Yep. Some were trying to have fun with it.  Myself included. I knew what Tony meant right from the get go. I think this Forum needs more Emoticons. Like :  bash.gif  beer.gifbootyshk.gifcranky.gifpoke.gif and hugs.gif

Edit: I've always said that If Kruschev and Kennedy had E-Mail back in the " Bay of Pigs " era, that the earth would still be a glowing slag heap of molten Lava.

Over and out...

Edited by Chickenman

I've always said that If Kruschev and Kennedy had E-Mail back in the " Bay of Pigs " era, that the earth would still be a glowing slag heap of molten Lava.

Pretty much, words can be taken however the reader wishes them to be.  Emoticons do help, but only when acknowledged.  :)

I was typing on my phone and fat fingered the enter instead of the comma.

My mind had them sequentially as it is written now, but rather than backspace a shitload of times, I just hit enter instead of comma once more...

I had no clue people would take it so literally. I meant top two hottest.

I vote for shedding the thread becaus anything said here is....as I,posted initially, already clearly stated in the cooling system thread.

That I responded to a "which is the best" troll indeed was my fault.

I should not have fed the trolls.

I was typing on my phone and fat fingered the enter instead of the comma.

My mind had them sequentially as it is written now, but rather than backspace a shitload of times, I just hit enter instead of comma once more...

I had no clue people would take it so literally. I meant top two hottest.

I vote for shedding the thread becaus anything said here is....as I,posted initially, already clearly stated in the cooling system thread.

That I responded to a "which is the best" troll indeed was my fault.

I should not have fed the trolls.

I actually scratched my head for a second when I read your first post, but I knew what you meant...  I've seen you comment in various posts regarding thermostats but I've never wandered to the Cooling System thread - SO - I was actually really glad that you posted here and explained your reasoning.  

What followed was pretty amusing...