Photo
- - - - -

.82 A/R Turbine Housing - Who's running one?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 skirkland1980

skirkland1980

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hey Bernardd. What were the specs on that cam?
:1983 280zx turbo, L28ET, custom cam grind, 96 saab 900 intercooler w/2.50" piping, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, megasquirt II v3.57, 540cc injectors, walbro gsl392 255lph fuel pump, aeromotive regulator, -6 supply lines, custom fuel rail, MSD ignition wires, MSD 8202 coil, homemade boost controller, Garrett TC4305 turbo, 70mm throttle body, Godzilla BOV, Turbonetics wastegate, custom intake, custom turbo header, Cooling Mist H2O/meth injection, 20psi boost, all stock body, stock interior and weld draglite wheels, TH350 trans 4000 stall with B&M 'street stick' shifter and hughes trans brake, nitto nt555R drag radials, best 1/8 mile of 7.53@ 98 mph

#22 skirkland1980

skirkland1980

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

And valve springs...Thanks!
:1983 280zx turbo, L28ET, custom cam grind, 96 saab 900 intercooler w/2.50" piping, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, megasquirt II v3.57, 540cc injectors, walbro gsl392 255lph fuel pump, aeromotive regulator, -6 supply lines, custom fuel rail, MSD ignition wires, MSD 8202 coil, homemade boost controller, Garrett TC4305 turbo, 70mm throttle body, Godzilla BOV, Turbonetics wastegate, custom intake, custom turbo header, Cooling Mist H2O/meth injection, 20psi boost, all stock body, stock interior and weld draglite wheels, TH350 trans 4000 stall with B&M 'street stick' shifter and hughes trans brake, nitto nt555R drag radials, best 1/8 mile of 7.53@ 98 mph

#23 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9958 posts
  • LocationReno NV & Lucena Quezon, Philippines

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:51 AM

"Elgin Super-Secret Mystery Grind" LOL

Jeff did a nice writeup on the porting of his stocker. Once it was revealed it was cast steel and could be welded up, the fear of cutting through anyplace, or being too thin was easily solved with his MIG...

Turned out nice for a guy doing secret work in the garage where nobody was supposed to work on their cars! It was like getting into a speakeasy back in the day. "Knock Knock" (Little drilled hole opens to reveal an eyeball) "That you? Anybody else around out there?" No (door creaks up)  "Hurry, get inside, I'm not supposed to be working on my car in here!"

Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#24 TimO

TimO

TimO ~ orig. owner 72z

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNevada City

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

John,

These guys  http://www.lonewolfp....com/prices.htm  also have a service they don't show on their website where they cut the manifold in half, port it, and weld it back together which I understand results in a much better flow than the "standard" porting.

#25 Brad-ManQ45

Brad-ManQ45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

TimO:

Is that for the exhaust manifold? I can see them doing the intake...

TonyD:

Is there a link to the writeup JeffP did for the stock exhaust manifold?

I couldn'see it on his website.

Thanks,

Brad
Toys don't make the Man - Man makes the Toys.

#26 TimO

TimO

TimO ~ orig. owner 72z

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNevada City

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

Exhaust manifold. Hard to find on their website. Go to their prices page and you will see it under Manifold Porting.

http://www.lonewolfp...e.com/index.htm

#27 Brad-ManQ45

Brad-ManQ45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

I saw the porting for the exhaust manifold already, I was wondering about the cutting open and welding like they say they can do on the intake manifold.

#28 jgkurz

jgkurz

Slowest Indian

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

FWIW, I called and left a message at Lonewolf but have yet to get a return call. 

#29 JelmerPatrol

JelmerPatrol

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

Sounds like you guys need a euro turbo manifold!

83 Datsun Laurel L24--->VG30DET in progress

84 Nissan Patrol L28E--->L28ET in progress

http://www.patrol4x4...holland-314225/

#30 rossman

rossman

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Is there a link to the writeup JeffP did for the stock exhaust manifold?

http://www.angelfire...zxt/page11.html

#31 Brad-ManQ45

Brad-ManQ45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Rossman.

I saw that page but wondered about what he did for the area from ports 1-4 coming into the plenum.

There was absolutely no mention of smoothing or enlarging which is why I thought I may have miss3d a page...

Edited by Brad-ManQ45, 08 August 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#32 kubus

kubus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGdansk / Poland

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:29 PM

i know this one is out of the league.....

just wondering if a stock L28E .....    will cooperate with a GT30  on 0.82ar ??

going standalone on a fairly stock L28E ( internally - just for now ( low boost ) ) - and thinking if it's gonna spool fine on that ar size ??

any tips would be cool.

cheers guys.

#33 Brad-ManQ45

Brad-ManQ45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

I may be wrong, but I believe the .82 on the 30 series is pretty much the equivalent of the .63 on the 35 series as far as flow goes.

It's been a while since I looked at the maps for the housings...

#34 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

Has anybody but Jeff done the exhaust manifold pressure checks?

My understanding is some of the new Diesels have an exhaust pressure sensor available, and if this is true, I can see adding that to a logging channel, or monitoring it with the EMS will pay dividends in the black art of turbine sizing.

Okay, this is a bit late, but search ebay for "Powerstroke Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor" or "Powerstroke EBP".  

They have approximately a 3.5 bar range, from 34kPa at 0 Volts to 390kPa at 5 Volts.

I'm currently using one for both instrumenting my Turbine Inlet Pressure, and another as my MAP sensor.  Works great as a MAP since I don't pull much vacuum at idle anyway, and it gives me roughly the same boost capacity with better resolution than a 4bar sensor!

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

#35 Tony D

Tony D

Wiki D

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9958 posts
  • LocationReno NV & Lucena Quezon, Philippines

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Ohhh, that's a nice tip TZ! Thanks...

Misanthropic Anthroparion Class 5 Hoarder, aspiring to posthumous fame as my containers are cut open and the market floods with crap I've squirrelled away over the years! I endeavour to persevere...

#36 HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

A long and skiny tube to a standard map sensor works as long as you don't have a leak near the sensor.

You do have to pick where you are porting the sensor carefully so you don't get problems with venturi effect causing low readings.

If you want to go all out, get a DLP solutions I08 and datalog 8 channels in nistune.

Edited by HowlerMonkey, 11 September 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#37 TimZ

TimZ

OG Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

A long and skiny tube to a standard map sensor works as long as you don't have a leak near the sensor.

You do have to pick where you are porting the sensor carefully so you don't get problems with venturi effect causing low readings.

If you want to go all out, get a DLP solutions I08 and datalog 8 channels in nistune.

I used a piece of brake line tubing for this same purpose with my EBP.  I believe they do something similar in production.

Posted Image

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
-FZ, Joe's Garage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users