HybridZ

What type of Engine oil to use?

jasper

I know that engine oils have have changed DRASTICALLY in the last 35 years. 5, 10, and 15k oil change 

intervals are common.  300k on today's engines are common. I know it's all about the oil. :wink:

I believe there is probably a better choice of oil to use, than what is currently sitting in the 35 year old oil pan.

The experience I do lack, is in oil choices for an unusual situation, such as this. 

I'm hoping some of you guys know more than I do, and have practical experience. 

I'm leaning towards the Brad Penn.

Is a straight 30 weight suggested?

I've started to research your recommendations. I'm not done.

Again, thanks for all your help.

The big change in oils  for high performance cars has been since the early to mid 2000's, when the EPA mandated the reduction of ZDDP in engine oils. This was to extend the lifetime of factory  catalytic convertors.

Reduction in ZDDP levels have caused countless problems in the High Performance and Vintage world. All due to the reduction in ZDDP levels. 

For high performance cars and Vintage cars with flat tappet or finger follower valve trains it can be a big issue. Particularly with higher rate valve springs. The oils back in the 70's through 90's were actaully better in High Load camshaft to lifter protection than todays " off the shelf " engine oils. Avoid anything Energy Star rated. Period. Research what Hot Rodders and Vintage car owners are using. Myself and others have made some good recommendations in this thread. .

I wouldn't go with a straight 30wt as a regular oil . Multi-Weights have many advantages. Cold start lubrication being much better. And synthetics jsut win hands down. Use a high ZDDP 10w-40 , 15W-50 or a 20w-50 depending on ambient temp. You can get away with a 10w-30 is you use a high ZDDP content " Niche " oil such a Joe Gibbs and others. Stay away from " off the shelf oils " of 10w-30 or lighter on the cold weight as these are nearly all Eber4gy Star oils with reduced levels of ZDDP.

Here are a couple of sites to get your reserach started:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

The following has databases on ZDDP levels of some popular oils and quite a bit of discussion on the ZDDP issue with Vintage and High Performance motors:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5867396-Built-Engine-Big-Turbo-Heavily-Modified-engines%28aftermarket-cams%29-what-Engine-Oil: