HybridZ

Installed center console..alignment question with pics..260z

ZMONSTR

Hello,

My car was redone without a center console (not sure why).  I have purchased one, put it in and would like thoughts on the alignment.  Something is a bit off.  

I am attaching all the pics i took just to be safe.

The problem I am seeing is that the shifter and dip in trans well for ash tray is a bit far foward compared to the opening(last pic).  I placed the center console based on where i think it should allign with the console above it (1st pic).  Its not pushed in very far, and I thought those elements should align.  I can push more if I want, but ruins the alignmet of the bottom console with the middle.

Thoughts?

post-51218-0-14874500-1469035753_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-22438200-1469035774_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-05080100-1469035785_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-86481600-1469035793_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-87204300-1469035808_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-35845700-1469035817_thumb.jpg

post-51218-0-34049400-1469035838_thumb.jpg

Looks alright to me. As long as the ash tray (console piece) fits in the console, I think you're fine. Do the mounting holes line up with the ones on the car? IMO this is one of those things where it either fits or it doesn't, and there's no reason it shouldn't fit that I can think of.

Always.. your pic is reassuring!  I tried in vain to find a pic with google but couldnt.  

As for holes, the previous rebuilt covered trans hump with carpet so I had to guess some.  I have left the carpet, except for cutting some away for the proper redo of the choke and access to the dip for the ash tray.  I do not intend to put an ashtray in the car, but some kind of cup holder

What do you mean? There's a handful of brackets that it screws into, I think most of them are welded to the trans tunnel. Were they removed? If not, just cut an opening in the carpet.

I am trying to limit my cutting into the carpet as I dont want it to be loose or a saggy.    Right now its screwed into the carpet and padding and its holding very well actually

Pics can be misleading, but it looks like the shift lever is too far forward. Wrong shift lever? installed backwards. 

Again..could be the angle of the pic.

This is why I posted.. the shifter and opening for ash tray dont quite line up.  I would have to push the center console in..but then I get big misalingment with the lower console meeting the center.

I went with this position becuase the shifter is not hampered, and a new shifter boot should cover.  As for the ash tray, I intend to do something else with it.

Very simple.

The Zx shift lever has different bends than your stock Z. 

Use the shift lever from a 74 and up 4spd. The distance below the pivot is different,

but does not matter. It works. This is how we solved the exact same problem you have,

after a lot of research.

It is that simple.