HybridZ

fix it or forget it? interior sheet metal

boostfed

Hey everyone,

not sure how many have embarked on the journey of stripping their car completely down, but mine is down to just the shell. Was able to successfully remove the interior and original sound deadening , that was a pain in the butt. Looking to recoat the interior, but not sure if i should town it down to the metal or not.

My 75 280z had enamel paint, and its just about the worst experience getting it all down to bare metal. all of the nooks and crannies of the 40 yr old car are terrible to get clean. anyone undertake this task? i'll post some pictures soon, but at this point i may just leave it be and start coating over whats there. I might scuff everything down but thats about it. Need to fix some rust holes here and there, but the car won't be driven in the rain. I live in california, so for the most part i'll be driving it on nice days. Probably going to do some rust treatment but thats just about the max.

i feel like i'd be opening a can of worms if i strip/media blast everything down. Im hoping to keep the car for awhile ( at least thats what i'm thinking of, for now). anyone take ever sit in the same seat i'm sitting? Kind of tired of sanding and wire wheeling, don't think i'll ever perfectly get it down to bare metal. Would love to, but i just dont think its worth the effort at this point. Let me know your experiences!

Thanks!

top pic is prior to any sanding, sound deadening was already removed. bottom pic is how it sits now. not sure why the pics came out crooked, sorry, lol

post-51396-0-49650700-1469401456_thumb.jpeg

post-51396-0-19871400-1469401574_thumb.jpeg

Edited by boostfed

i feel like i'd be opening a can of worms if i strip/media blast everything down.

Why is that? That's exactly what I would suggest doing. And no wonder you're so exhausted if you're stripping the entire car with a wire wheel! You're using the wrong tool for the job. Go get the car media blasted, I think you'll be glad you did.

Edited by rturbo 930

Judging by the pictures your car looks better than most. If you have the spare cash or know a guy who can hook you up i would jump on getting it blasted.,Fix the little spots you need fixed, get it blasted, then epoxy the whole thing. invest in a pressure pot and even put epoxy inside the rails and rockers. your repairs will mean nothing if you dont coat the back sides too.

Edit: I wish mine looked as solid as yours. :(

Edited by Evlevo

Been looking at a couple of media blasters but there aren't many local to where I am in the Bay Area (California) who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg. Quotes for the interior and engine bay were around $1200ish.

The interior were wire wheeled and sanded with a sanding disk. 1 angle fringed can only do so much, lol. Maybe I'll look into media blasting it again. For some reason. All of the local ones aren't really doing it anymore. I've heard that once you media blast, it'd be difficult to get all of the media out of the car.

If you are having trouble getting down the bare metal, then the paint was doing it's job.  From the pictures, the shell looks like it is in pretty good shape.  I would fix the problem areas and paint over anything that is still in good shape. 

• Like 1