HybridZ

Big Red v3.0 (VH45DETT in progress...)

Gino

Hey guys, I know most of you probably don't care about who I am (if you don't already know me), but just for fun here is my intro thread that includes the last setup of this car. For those that don't feel like clicking, lets just say it was a FULLY built motor (heads and bottom end) with twin GT3071r's, lots of custom shit, and a haltech ps2000 EMS. That motor lasted me less than 200 miles before a dowel pin sheared and bent all 6 intake valves in my drivers side head, which brings me to this...Big Red v3.0...

While building my last setup, I always (half jokingly) said that if anything ever happened to that motor I was going to drop in a VH45 and do twin rear mount 35r's. Little did I know...Big Red must have been listening and had an appetite for more power...

After the gala where pistons met valves, I quickly parted my VG setup out and started collecting parts for a VH swap. For now, this will be a stock block VH swap, but eventually I will be picking up a second block to build fully forged. So far I have managed to gather the following parts:

PerformanceVH motor mounts
PerformanceVH oil pan
PerformanceVH stage 2 regrinds

Performance Springs Inc valve springs (95lb seat tension, 190lb at 10mm lift)
PerformanceVH CNC exhaust flanges
(2X) fp hta3586 turbos (essentially billet 35r's with Tial housings)

on top of these parts, I will also be reusing a lot of stuff from my VG build. I already have the fuel setup pretty much good to go (minus rails and will need 2 more injectors) and the drivetrain stuff. I am running two stock TT pumps with -8an lines from the bulkheads to 2 compact filters then into a Y with a single -10 feed forward to 1000cc top feed injectors (will be bumped up to 1300's whenever the built motor goes in). Other side of the rails goes to a magnafuel regulator and a single -8 return. Drivetrain wise I will be using my HKS triple disc and Z1 platinum driveshaft that I had on the VG. 

Obviously this is not a complete parts list, and I still have some more stuff to buy, but the biggest hurdle has been crossed. Yesterday (7/24), after a few failed attempts, I finally was able to take the 6 hour drive (each way) and pick up my motor! The motor is a S1 VH45DE with 62k miles on it. It was pulled from a great running Q45 and was freshened up with a new timing chain kit and miscellaneous gaskets (the remainder of the full kit was included). Next up is the fun part...figuring out where to put the turbos and fabbing up the manifolds. I am thinking of either putting them behind the headlights, if they will fit, or under the core support and using a custom sized radiator. I will be using a treadstone vertical core FMIC with a 2 in 1 out and (for now) the stock intake manifold. Eventually I will be building a custom intake manifold as well, but that will probably not be until the built motor goes in. 

From this point forward this will probably be a kind of slow moving project, as we are in the process of selling our house and relocating, but I will definitely post progress as it happens, and at the very least I want to get the motor sitting in the car to see where I can put the turbos, and also start working on the wiring harness. The engine paint scheme will be mimicking my VG...gold and black. Valve covers and other random pipes/accessories will be gold, and the plenum and other small stuff will be wrinkle black. 

Anyways, enough chat...here's the good stuff...

20160620_183234_zpsfnefjxa5.jpg
20160620_182337_zpsvhfszvfn.jpg
20160620_182226_zpsyyr74e8g.jpg
20160617_1550492_zpsvuw4amew.jpg
20160617_1547482_zpskruxil2y.jpg
20160526_101434_zpsz9ctptyz.jpg

20160526_1824562_zpsob4mqehj.jpg

20160526_1548362_zpsmwtpmios.jpg

vh_zpssvc90hxa.jpg

20160724_1734272_zpskxwhmp89.jpg
20160724_173606_zpsewqw51yw.jpg
IMG_20160623_181635_zpspof9yxlv.jpg
FB_IMG_1461654706808_zpsvp9bjdnu.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gino,

It's great to see someone else has decided to go off the beaten path.  I dunno when I'll ever complete my conversion but I will be watching yours closely.  My biggest challenge is getting the ignition/timing to synch.  With D585 coils and an Infinity ECU has truly been a royal PITA for me.  I may have overlooked in your intro thread but which ECU have you selected for your setup?  Thanks and keep the updates coming. -Si

Hey Gino,

It's great to see someone else has decided to go off the beaten path. I dunno when I'll ever complete my conversion but I will be watching yours closely. My biggest challenge is getting the ignition/timing to synch. With D585 coils and an Infinity ECU has truly been a royal PITA for me. I may have overlooked in your intro thread but which ECU have you selected for your setup? Thanks and keep the updates coming. -Si

I'm running a haltech ps2000 and will be going with the 585 coils as well. Where in MD are you? We will be moving back down there sometime soon (as soon as we sell our place up here)