HybridZ

Ecoboost swap

This is my first post here so I hope I won't get flamed, but I have really been thinking about the possibility of swapping a ford ecoboost motor into a first gen. I daily a focus st, and the car is just a riot so the thought of putting a similar engine in a lighter rwd car is really appealing. The engine itself mates perfectly to a trans from a Miata, and ford sells a control pack (all of which can be had for around $2500) it also bumps power to a claimed 280hp/360tq at the crank on 91. I'm aware of the need to fab a bunch of crap, and run new fuel lines and such. To me it sounds like a pretty badass project, I'm open to any and all opinions. Thanks.

My question would be why?  I'm not too familiar with the ecoboost engine but a quick couple searches, and I think the sr20det is a much better swap unless I'm missing something.  The sr20det seems to be: cheaper, lighter, probably easier to swap since so many have done it, makes more power, and as far as I could find gets about the same mileage. There's also a plethora of aftermarket support, a 6spd transmission available from the s15, and many people import them.  There is a bit of a premium on them since the drift kids drool all over them, but they still aren't that expensive.  If you want a 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine the sr is hard to beat. There's a good possibility that I missed something about the ecoboost engine, and if that's the case I'd love to know what's attractive about this engine to you.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as rude or anything like that, just my thoughts. 

Edited by luseboy

Not rude at all man that's why I started the thread, I'm seeking people's opinions. To answer your question of why; why do any swap? I think simply because you love it, and want to see something you've built come together. As far as the whole sr swap goes, I know that it's tried and true, but the technology behind the ecoboost is a driving factor for me. They're direct injected, and they can take a beating with stock internals. There are numerous guys with bolt ons and wmi making figures deep into the 400's in hp and tq with the focus platform. With just being tuned and dp on the stock turbo guys are routinely putting down 270/350 to the wheels, they're torque monsters. The trans from the Nc Miata (05-2015) bolts on directly, and is available in a 6 speed. Ford offers a controls pack which eliminates the need for the stock ecu, and comes with tech support from ford racing. With the balance shaft deleted the engine only weighs 282 lbs (I believe it's roughly 50 lbs lighter than the sr). On to availability, the engine is available in 8 different usdm vehicles (I've done a wealth of research and the line of engines are identical), has been in production since 2009 in Europe, and is mounted longitudinally in the falcon in Australia. I know it hasn't been done before, but not too long ago people weren't swapping rb's and sr's into s30 chassis. Thanks for writing back man, hopefully we can continue the discussion and get others involved.

New territory.... Somebody's gotta do it. Pull the trigger and make sure you start a build log for others to follow.. I swapped in a LS and its the most car fun I've had in years. Good luck.

Thanks man I appreciate it, just finished my build list, and hopefully I'll get started on it by the new year

They do have some get up and go, how is the electronics suite? My friend almost lemoned his ST after 4 trips to the dealership for poor electrical connections.

Problem I see right off the bat is the flat sump. Which in turn makes me curious about the deck height. You would either have to build the engine to sit taller, or you would need your own custom sump pan or convert to dry sump.

Easy benefit right off the bat is the orientation, intake on the driver side, exhaust stuff on the passenger side. 

A concern would be the miata transmission, whichever one bolts up, I'm not sure how much power or torque it is going to like handling. I know the later S15 and miata boxes are the same so maybe that is a moot point.

It is an interesting thought, but with how forgiving the engine bay is in a S30, I would almost be hesitant to stick a small motor in. Kind of feels empty you know?

They do have some get up and go, how is the electronics suite? My friend almost lemoned his ST after 4 trips to the dealership for poor electrical connections.

Problem I see right off the bat is the flat sump. Which in turn makes me curious about the deck height. You would either have to build the engine to sit taller, or you would need your own custom sump pan or convert to dry sump.

Easy benefit right off the bat is the orientation, intake on the driver side, exhaust stuff on the passenger side.

A concern would be the miata transmission, whichever one bolts up, I'm not sure how much power or torque it is going to like handling. I know the later S15 and miata boxes are the same so maybe that is a moot point.

It is an interesting thought, but with how forgiving the engine bay is in a S30, I would almost be hesitant to stick a small motor in. Kind of feels empty you know?

I haven't had any problems with electronics on my FD. From what I was told the controls pack pretty much makes it bare bones to run, not much else to run electronically. As far as the oil pan goes the block is based off of the duratech/mzr block so either a ranger or Miata pan (both are rear sump iirc) will work. The guys that have done the swaps on other vehicles have had success using both. The trans is the one part I'm apprehensive about, but the Miata guys seem to have success when they turbo

• 3 months later...

I am thinking of eventually doing an Ecoboost 3.5. However I have thought of doing a ecoboost 2.3 out of a mustang. I think its all about what parts I find first when it comes time to do it. Im sure wrecked '15-'17 mustangs will be more common in a few years. I am also looking at trucks as well for the 3.5. A 2.0 would be pretty good as well especially since they are based off the duratec which is awesome!

I think an Ecoboost would rock, great idea! 

My daily is a Fiesta ST, and my '73 Z is LS powered. The LS2 makes 400 horses and 400 torques. The ST is about half that, at 200 & 200. The ST weighs about 2750 and my Z, I'm guessing, is around 300 lbs. less porky. So yeah, a Z with just a stock ST, 1600cc Turbo would make for a very fun ride.

A 4 cyl Eco turbo in a  Z would add lightness and be the recipe for good handling. You'll have to get the suspension sorted really well too, in order to have a chance of beating your ST around a corner.

Go for it Johnbian, blaze new trails, go where no one has gone before, you'll end up with a unique, fun car. I'd go that route if I had it to do over.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Idk if I would go for the ford ecoboost. They make good numbers and all. And I know they have a lot of tech that goes into them. If it were me I would try to build the 2.5l 4cyl that Nissan is using in some of the base frontiers. I know they are pigs but the extra displacement could be a winning factor mated with a good turbo. But it is your project. If you do go with it I would love to see post of the progress. Good luck you and your car.

My only question is why not the 2.3 ecoboost in the Mustang? It's already RWD so your transmission problem is already solved. Also, because it came in a Mustang it's just a matter of waiting a few days until someone crashes one.

I've seen a video of a guy swapping an ecoboost into his 86 Fox Box, so if the engine that was originally in that fits in a Z car, it would be reasonable to say that the ecoboost would too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

COMING FROM 5 YEARS OF FORD/LINCOLN TECH EXPERIENCE, I WOULD NOT GO WITH THE ECOBOOST. HAVE YOU SEEN HOW THE BANK 1 TURBO IS TUCKED AWAY? IT'S HORRIBLY DIFFICULT TO GET TO. I'VE REPLACED 7 WARRANTY LONGBLOCKS WITH TURBOS, AND THEY SUCK. NOT A TERRIBLE POWERPLANT, BUT I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST USING THIS AS A SWAP PROJECT. IF YOU EVER HAVE ISSUES, IT'S UGLY. AND, SEVERAL YEARS HAVE OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS. FORD IS VERY AWARE OF THIS, BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DECIDE TO GO THIS ROUTE AND RESEARCH THE VIN NUMBER THAT IT COMES FROM.