HybridZ

77 280z lm7 with 4l80e

Hello all, just picked up my first 280. It's a 77 clean body no rust. I've searched and read thru alot of threads here. I'm curious as to what mounts to use for the motor, as I have read most have pros and cons. I was thinking of going for the cx kit for motor and modifying the trans for the 4l80e. On that note I have found that I have to massage the tunnel but no one has documented it. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

So you want to shove a 4L80 in a Datsun. I commend you on this decision. I did this as well and it is all mounted and am pleased with how it turned out. A fair bit of warning I will give you with going this route.

1. You have to cut out the stock mounts and beat a whole bunch in with a hammer.

2. They are massive transmissions and handling them under a car without a hoist/tranny jack is not easy.

3. You will need to have a computer that can control it along with the wiring. I am running a Holley Dominator and purchased their 4L80e pnp harness.

I used dirty dingo engine mounts along with a custom trans-mount bolted through a stock/energy mount. I also used the Tremic app on my phone to help align all of it up. I know that sounds weird but it has you take measurements from multiple locations to help determine the correct mounting angles. Either way good luck and be patient.

In the pictures you will see my mount that I made. It is defiantly not pretty and I was not worried about exhaust since I am doing a front exit but I will defiantly be strong enough. The last picture of the up and forward manifolds flipped over with the dirty dingo mounts clear without an issue.

937DD2C9-196A-4361-8CEE-19B83992DE2C.jpg

5DB52396-2933-4564-9F2F-63369E3A090B.jpg

1F90EB1F-5F48-4898-8BC5-C93200ABC138.jpg

C08543AB-07FA-4147-BAB0-71AF42283354.jpgFBED8AD1-C677-48BD-8AA0-99479E96589B.jpg

643DBF0F-C1E2-4E90-8961-AF1E30FE7C17.jpg

Edited by zspeed22

1. You have to cut out the stock mounts and beat a whole bunch in with a hammer.

2. They are massive transmissions and handling them under a car without a hoist/tranny jack is not easy.

3. You will need to have a computer that can control it along with the wiring. I am running a Holley Dominator and purchased their 4L80e pnp harness.

1: i most likely will cut where it hits a fab up a "prettier" fix for the tunnel.

2: My first purchase for this endeavor is going to be a beefy tranny jack.

3. its going to be controller via the 5.3 computer tuned with hp tuners. with a transgohd2 kit.

besides the dirty dingo, what headers are your running. I would love long tubes, but that can wait i just want mounts that will better help me when i do get long tubes.

1: i most likely will cut where it hits a fab up a "prettier" fix for the tunnel.

2: My first purchase for this endeavor is going to be a beefy tranny jack.

3. its going to be controller via the 5.3 computer tuned with hp tuners. with a transgohd2 kit.

besides the dirty dingo, what headers are your running. I would love long tubes, but that can wait i just want mounts that will better help me when i do get long tubes.

These are just the Ebay up and forward manifolds nothing special. They will cross up to a PTE 7675 turbo.

I did an 80e and only trimmed the tranny and cut a hole for the Ecu connector. The whole stock tranny mount had to go away but very little hammering was needed

I just moved my motor back 4 inches and recessed the firewall and had some hammering to do but very pleased with the results. Nice tranny, even for drag racing

I just moved my motor back 4 inches and recessed the firewall and had some hammering to do but very pleased with the results. Nice tranny, even for drag racing

Why the recesses firewall? I'm curious I haven't started the swap yet