HybridZ

Why would you ship that from America? A 2+2 story

Testprint is ready, dipped in acetone and sandblasted, final ones will get painted flat black and have the Datsun Logo, This is the standin for fitment...

DSC 1551

DSC 1550

DSC 1549

what looks porous is actually just resolidified dust from sanding it before dipping, didn´t get everything off. Compared measures with original one, should be 100% fit. Can also get the finish glossy but I would like to go more to the OEM look (textured).

Edited by Villeman

• 3 weeks later...

Update time: Got finally around to assemble the engine....like 4 times. Quite a steep learning curve but fun till the end. The citroen engine we have is like 100% opposite of what you can get in an engine :) Finally got everything together and assembled. Also picked up the splash pan and original (rubber!) euro spec Airdam, looking good so far. Much to the joy of my father (who can weld a new car around a license plate) we found that one dogleg will need to be replaced.

ps: does somebody know how the front splash guard in the wheelhouses look like? I only have the rear ones left.

from this:

20160726 161010

to this:

20161002 181011

20161002 165103

20161002 153313

20161001 152250

20161001 152239

20161001 152221

what I now realise, no emissions liners are installed. 12/75 N42/N42 combination from California with emissions equipment present
Edited by Villeman

guess I will have them made out of metal if thats possible.... Its a bit large for 3D printing ;)

I really need that parts car....... well, not need but really really want ^^

IMG 20161004 WA0007

IMG 20161004 WA0006

IMG 20161004 WA0008

paint...done.....and a fourth time assembled (Piston pins set wrongly on 3 pistons........) and as luck has it there was a bend piston ring that we found while fixing it. The inlet manifold found its way to my desk as bad weather project for evenings. Does anybody know wether or not an Ikea desk supports a vice ? ;)

Edited by Villeman

• 4 weeks later...

Got around to some more work, still stunning good substance, inside of doors are pristine, no rust at all. Had to organise my stuff a bit more...

20161031 111807[1]

20161031 111834[1]

and took off the front axle. Just replacing the bushings, ball joints are firm and steering rack looks good.

20161029 132826[1]

20161029 132821[1]

we decided to still ice-blast everything and do the restauration properly ;)

also, single carb manifold for the L28, in case people are discussing that Nissan didn´t make them :)

20161031 111845[1]

• 2 months later...

Well, I can finally answer the question. I got a parts car that looked , well maybe okay

20161224 121738

but actually looked like this .... just for comparison, and i don ´t regret for 1 second to have gotten a 2+2 from cali :)

20161228 135128

20161227 153136

I also have a new hubcap, and it actually fits, just have to paint it.

Nabendeckel TM003 100916 001

back to my car, front and rear axle are removed and look great, no play anywhere (I still struggle to believe 55k is real, but it is)

20161225 171756

the rest of the car is coming along nicely. We managed to find some rust

20161221 201629

20161223 170051

20161221 215111

and I can strongly recommend a wheel from england (Forumla GT Speedwell)  EDIT: Its a "Personal" wheel, but it was marketed as Formula sometimes. Fits the Datsun hub and is 15" iirc
looks great but might be a bit too large

Foto0040

Edited by Villeman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Villeman

Can I ask how you went about having your Z imported from the US?

Wanting to do the same thing but to the UK.

Did you get to view the car? Or did an import company just pick the car up for you?

Thanks

In case he doesn't check for a while, I can answer a part of the question.

Villeman was in contact with local forum members to the cars that he was interested in. He was interested in a couple up here and I offered to go take a look at a couple he was interested in for gas money, but honestly I steered him away as if he was going to ship a car over sees his choices were going to be better in california/arizona then any cars he would have found up here. You could do the same thing, PM an established member in the area or make a post and offer some compensation for a members time if they could go check out a car for you, keep in mind you are a relative newbie so don't be offset if someone doesn't respond or you get few responses, it is a pretty common opening to a scam to anyone who has tried to sell something online, if it is one of the more experienced members they are also going to know what to look for and would be able to get you detailed shots, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if members know their local markets and know if a car is to be stayed away from since it has been listed for months or years.

If the car works for you great, I would suggest working out payment through a bank or something of that nature as there are many scams in the US regarding overseas buyers, I would suggest against offering to pay the buyer to drive it to the dock or other such key phrases. Once a deal is made have shipping arrangements made to have the car picked up and delivered to the dock of departure for which an importer would probably be most familiar with.

Hello M2RX,

basically as seattlejester said, only you have to keep in mind it took me over a year of searching and a TON of luck to find this car. If I were to do it all again I would said safe up for a journey, let some members know in advance that you are coming and then go hunt. These cars shift so fast, with 8 hour of time-shift I was barely abled to get in contact with anybody, and I explicitly wanted the less sexy (NOT TRUE °! ) 2+2... 

I gambled and was lucky but I doubt that one is normally that lucky with these cars. If you are interested I would also ask the usuals in Europa about importing one for you.

So, if you can ask around and then travel to Cali (especially if you can live with a 280 that should be smogged there)

If you have any questions write me a PM

what I did: 

-find a car

- ask a senior member to check it out

-try to organise payment, fail miserably sinc emy bank is staffed with morrons

- in a whim, send the money by paypal to a way too nice member here and have him put down the deposit

- move the car

-realise jsut how much stress it is to have a car without a title

-get safed a second time by a member here :)

-work out shipping etc

-ship the car (CFR. Period.)

took nearly 5 month total. It CAN be a lot faster if you are 

a)present in cali

or B) are smart enough to buy a car with title

without the help from Daniel I would have failed miserably with what I did, so just my advice, go over and buy one. CFR will pick it up and you are done.

Edited by Villeman

I actually have family in Ohio, so a trip over is never an issue... however, I would want a rust free example from the south (ideally Cali).

What is the situation with a non-US citizen buying a car in person and organising for it to be shipped back whilst i'm there?

You buy it, have him sign the title to you, have a bill of purchase and then give those documents to your trusty shipping agent. You just need to move the car by hauling it, it´s not allowed on roads without registration (once again,have your shipping agent pick it up). Then decide where in Europe to ship it (i´d say rotterdam, no tax there) and haul it over

AND STASH AS MANY PARTS INSIDE AS YOU CAN, even better, replace everything needing replacement before shipping since shipping parts will ruin you.

and don´t be so stiff on Cali, as many people here can tell you there are better places in  the south to look.

write me a PM and I canalso call you about the details

Edited by Villeman

well, I try to keep him off my car but his other projects are rather tedious so he like the fun parts.."luckily" he saved the scraping part for me ..... :(

but apparently,  "rust free chassis" in a Craigslist add is not always a lie...

IMG 0877

IMG 0876

IMG 0875

Edited by Villeman

scrape scrape scrape......

IMG 0884

IMG 0883

IMG 0885

btw, instead of a full rotisserie there is an engine lifter in the back and the front is suspended from a beam in the ceiling.... only adviced if you know your roof construction though

Does anybody know the color code from the underbody paint? Should be the stock 76 paintcode .

Edited by Villeman

• 1 month later...

So, since nobody knows the exact primer (also on classiczcars) I will just epoxy primer it and paint it in a matching color resembling the original one. Prep is nearly done.

IMG 0942

IMG 0943

also the one rust patch was done by my father

IMG 0941

IMG 0940

so things are getting along nicely. While at it i found those two beauties for 40$

IMG 0935

definitely need to rebuild those in order to finish the project ;)