HybridZ

Wheel clearance ??x9.5 +0 ?

Passed 16x8 you are kinda on your own.Take some measurements and figure out the backspacing. You may find this calculator very helpful.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

What I would also suggest, depending on the state of your car. Mock up a cardboard wheel in the size you want and fit it without springs in place. Then you can test the full range of motion for interference. 

You also didnt share which chassis you are working with.

I thought with this size it's clear that I asked for a setup with coil overs.

Yes yes, too much info in my head and too little text.

What I need to know, are there any problems with a 17x9.5+0 245/40R17 wheel in the front with coil overs and fender flares? For example the clearance to the suspension or with steering.

Edited by Ereschkigal

Apologies in advance if I'm making an obtuse or condemnatory point, but what is the advantage of mounting 245-series tires on 9.5" wheels?  Would it not be more sensible to use narrower wheels for 245 tires, or perhaps to attempt wider tires for 9.5" wheels?  Tirerack.com recommends 8"-9.5" wheels for 245/40-17, with something like 8.5" as standard.  That being the case, if the objective is 245/40-17 wheels, might there not be an advantage in fitment (and lower rotating mass) in going with a narrower wheel?

Ereschkigal: Yes, a bit too much to infer. 

With flares, outboard is more or less fine especially with that offset.

With coilovers it depends on the body of the coilover. Usually 5 inches of backspacing is pretty much it, some people have said 5.5 inch, but that depends on the rim manufacturer and how much of a lip they leave, the actual foot print of the tire, the sidewall bulge etc. 

Jacky is on point here. Use a piece of wood and a tape measure, or make your own wheel and put it through the motions. You are on the edge of a space where someone would feel comfortable saying that would fit for sure.

Michael: Regarding tire size it is more or less dependent on manufacturer. I've had 205 tires with a wider footprint then a 225, and I've had a 215 tire with a thinner foot print then a 205. Some manufacturers run wide others run thin and sometimes it depends even on the tire even within the manufacturer. It is true though. If the tire was the desired item then he could put it on a narrower rim, I feel though that given the offset and size offered before the tire, he probably has a rim in mind already.

I made a similar thread a while ago for a 15x10 wheel with 0 offset. Just german problems with negative offset. In future I will use wider wheels but for some stupid regulatory reasons I need to start with a 245/45R17 tire. It's not like I could drive what I really want (on the streets). :cry:

You are on the edge of a space where someone would feel comfortable saying that would fit for sure.

Thats the reason I asked for someone who has these measurements. I asked a few people for their clearance and mathematical it could work but a real life example would be better.

Edited by Ereschkigal