HybridZ

Off centered 75 280z steering rack....hmm

Hey all...just got done doing the brake conversion (thanks for all the insight) and now have new concern. Rack will make complete lock to lock revolutions, but when centered wheels are not correctly aligned. Soooo....I attempted to adjust the centering by dividing the lock to lock by two, then adjusting the tie rods accordingly. Ugh. No dice. Left side does not have enough threads to screw in far enough to straighten the wheel. Thoughts? The passenger side tie rod is brand new. Correct for this car. Double checked. I'm at a loss here.....

Steering wheel has probably been removed at some point and not indexed correctly.

There should be an index mark on the top steering of the steering shaft that points to 12:00 O-clock when rack is centered. Get that mark pointed straight up. Install your steering wheel so that it is level, and then adjust your wheel alignment.

First, jack up the car and support on jack stands.

Remove clamps from the boots on rack.

Pull boots off rack housing and slide the boots outward to expose rack shaft on both sides of housing.

Next, center the rack so that the same amount of rack shaft is exposed on both sides (2.39 inches measured between the housing and inner tie rod body to be precise).

The rack in now centered.  If the steering wheel is not centered, then remove and reinstall in correct orientation.  Adjust toe with rack in centered position described above.

I have spacers that I place over the rack shaft to keep it centered during to alignment.  I make absolutely sure that the rack is centered.

Well it's not quite right. With 2.39 on either side it's way off center. I tried adjusting it out but the left hand tie rod is bottomed out. After further research, I've noticed that the crossmember has been modified. Looks extended on the right hand side and the front suspension has two pieces of half inch by two plate between it and the unibody mounting points. Uggg