HybridZ

WCR axles and rear sway bar

madkaw

Installing my WCR axles and ST rear seat bar and they aren't getting along. I took out the spacer bushing on the sway bar , but still need more. The bolt I'm using ran out of threads so I will gain a bit more when I can tighten the ends more.

Anyone else deal with this ?

post-1083-0-96721300-1471632335_thumb.jpeg

There are no c clips on the axle. I was told by WCR hat it's designed to slide in and out to allow for length changes. It's a trick the off road guys use to gain a ton of suspension travel. As a downside, the splines are made to fit loose to allow the sliding movement. But this in turn adds a fair bit of slop/play. Certainly more than my stock u joints had. I'm going to investigate into doing a true 930 axle swap (WCR are technically VW type 2? 4? Axles, but labeled "Porsche style"). I also may be at the limit of what they rate the axles to (400hp).

The used German made 930 axles are VERY tight with no rotational play at all. Hopefully the shorter custom axles I get turn out the same way. I was hoping for less driveline clunk, not more when I decided to go CV

As another note. The sliding axles likely is not a problem. Once they centre or get bumped away from the adapter, the friction from torque applied will likely keep them in a position away from the adapter. The inner face of the adapter is also chamfered and would cause minimal wear if it were to rub. Grease it up and worry not.

There are clips on the very ends . After I thought about it - I figured they couldn't move once torque was applied to the splines . Wasn't a big fan of the Allen heads and trying to get 35lbs or torque on them. Had 2 bolt heads strip out. I know their tight I guess . Now the safety wire job- this ought to be time consuming :0

Delete the rear sway bar.

Delete the rear bar. If you just bought it, return it. A rear bar actually hurts the Z. So you are killing yourself to add weight to the car that works against you in corners. Costs you traction exiting corners. Even if you have an LSD.

Interesting that you guys say this, can you explain why?  I too just ordered a 1" front and 3/4" rear sway for my Z.

I have read that putting a rear sway bar on does not improve handling- even make it worse if using the stock front bar. I have not found much info on it searching in general. There's not even much to read that is subjective.

Love to see some testing done at an autocross from an experienced driver . So many factors involved between shocks , springs , etc...

Called Futofab and verified play in axle. More than necessary for our cars , but shouldn't negatively affect anything . Also questioned the torque requirement on the bolts and he said he will revisit this. 35lbs is too much for 8mm bolts.