HybridZ

Jeep Cam angle sensor for L - Series

jacky4566

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butternut it sounds like you need to learn more about what Megasquirt is, and how the system works in whole. 

If you want to run a full sequential injection and ignition Megasquirt requires 3 critical pieces of timing information.

• When is the crankshaft at TDC.
  • Where is the crankshaft in relation to TDC.
  • Where is the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft. Also known as phasing. (remember that the camshaft spins at half the crankshaft speed)

So. In relation to the above. The Jeep CAS ONLY provides you with the camshaft phasing. Or in more simpler terms, is cylinder 1 on a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke? 

Of course if you only want sem-sequential or Batch fire. Then you don't need the cam phase at all. IMO full sequential is overkill for an occasional/ race driver but I like to tinker so here it is. 

To answer your question, the Jeep CAS replaces the dizzy yes, but does not provide all the information required by megasquirt. You still need to know the crankshaft position via a 36-1 trigger wheel or other.

And no, a sensor can not control spark, the megasquirt does all that with input from sensors like this. 

If you want the easiest way to get timing information to megsquirt, then by all means grab a 82/3 turbo dizzy. I just think they are ugly and wanted to make this work. 

Jacky, I'd love to see pictures of your build. Especially the Bosch MAF. I did manage to get one out of Ireland. So it would be cool to see how you set yours up. I was thinking I'd put a silicone house from the throttle body to the MAF, then more tubing, either stainless or silicone to in front of the radiator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/14/2017 at 12:28 PM, Conedodger said:

Got a part number or a year and model? I think I'm going to run with this too. Might as well take advantage of all the tech I can with this.

Cherokee: '00 or '01

Grand Cherokee: '99 - '04

Wrangler: '00 - '04

All models with the 4.0 inline 6.  (Appropriately enough, for this forum...  :D )

On Rockauto it's called a "Camshaft Synchronizer".  Prices there are better than at Summit.

I'm kind of amused by this thread, because I ended up back here (and, sorry guys, my 300zx powertrain into a 240z project is gone, ended up having to sell all of that kit after my divorce) while looking around for information on crank trigger wheels for use with Megasquirt, for a big block mopar engine project I've got going now... which will also be using this same camshaft position sensor, because it has the same interface (the flat blade at the end of the stock CPS) as the distributor drives from those engines.  So, apparently this CPS is just a treasure trove of adaptability.

41 minutes ago, ilcylic said:

Cherokee: '00 or '01

Grand Cherokee: '99 - '04

Wrangler: '00 - '04

All models with the 4.0 inline 6.  (Appropriately enough, for this forum...  :D )

On Rockauto it's called a "Camshaft Synchronizer".  Prices there are better than at Summit.

I'm kind of amused by this thread, because I ended up back here (and, sorry guys, my 300zx powertrain into a 240z project is gone, ended up having to sell all of that kit after my divorce) while looking around for information on crank trigger wheels for use with Megasquirt, for a big block mopar engine project I've got going now... which will also be using this same camshaft position sensor, because it has the same interface (the flat blade at the end of the stock CPS) as the distributor drives from those engines.  So, apparently this CPS is just a treasure trove of adaptability.

That’s pretty crazy it’s so versatile 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I´ve decided to install this camshaft sensor on my engine, but I´d like to know where you guys found the electrical connector to the JEEP sensor? I´ve searched everywhere, but can´t find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

InkedCam sensor_LI.jpg

Thanks Duffy! I actually found both that connector and the Mopar part number for it after I posted. I edited the post, but for some reason it didn´t update.

Here´s the Mopar part number:

5019962AA

Edited by Perra

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Somewhat sorry for redirecting this thread, but it looks like if you have a turbo engine all you need to do instead of slotting is remove the appropriate amount off one side to drive the CAS...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I have my original ZXT distributo, shaft and DIYAutotune wheel for the turbo distributor and intend to go sequential and this seems to be the low buck way to get rid of the distributor.

Edited by Brad-ManQ45

17 hours ago, Brad-ManQ45 said:

Somewhat sorry for redirecting this thread, but it looks like if you have a turbo engine all you need to do instead of slotting is remove the appropriate amount off one side to drive the CAS...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I have my original ZXT distributo, shaft and DIYAutotune wheel for the turbo distributor and intend to go sequential and this seems to be the low buck way to get rid of the distributor.

Sequential you should do crank, or flywheel trigger, then this for sync or you could use your turbo dizzy for sync.