HybridZ

Wtb r-200 3.90 ratio

egzlilgituarboy9

Bump . Need one in DFW Texas also .

My brother lives in Houston and I contemplated getting one there and shipping it while I was visiting. There is a Datsun wrecker type place and they said they had a handful of 280zx manuals (with the 3.90). If you don't mind the drive, I could put you in touch.

Looked for any late model Z31 diffs?

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

I have a 3.7 open, missing pinion flange. pm me if interested.

No, Sorry don't need a 300 ZX diff with out a factory installed Flange(That is too big for the Stock 280 driveshaft. .Technically it is useless now due to pre load requirement of a non original flange that would have to be installed . I throw units away that are comparable.  Nissan diffs that require a seal change can be accomplished by the knowledgeable tech ,however all bets off now on your unit .My customer sourced the 3.70 for his other car, a slick top 79 ZX from the South Texas yard .Perfect and no leaks and Correct flange with stub flanges ready to install !

mtnickle - Let me know what yard to make sure it is the same for future reference .The 3.90 he had shipped in has a broken gear in it .

The yard that sold it was a rip off since it was stuck on the drain plug magnet ,easily seen - And should have been seen by them

before they shipped it !

It had a leaky pinion seal and side seal leakage also ! Junk parts are getting to be normal now when you ask for a used

major assembly.

You used to be able to find good diffs locally without problems ,but our local Z car wrecker yard has retired and is not

buying savage cars.I see me possibly taking up the slack in the near future .

Steve

Technically it is useless now due to pre load requirement of a non original flange that would have to be installed . I throw units away that are comparable.  Nissan diffs that require a seal change can be accomplished by the knowledgeable tech ,however all bets off now on your unit .

If you read up on this site, you'll see that the Datsun R200 doesn't use a "Crush" style pinion nut and it is in fact torqued to the somewhat heafty 137-159 ft lbs. It's got a spacer type sleeve to set the pinion depth and so changing the flanges or pinion seal is only as much trouble as it is to get the nut on and off. Putting 150ft lbs of torque on it is tricky with the differential so I (as is also recommended on the site) just let me impact hammer away on it's medium setting (which i know to be mid 100's of torque). on some impacts may be more or less, but the lesson is to not worry about changing your pinion depth.

My customer sourced the 3.70 for his other car, a slick top 79 ZX from the South Texas yard .Perfect and no leaks and Correct flange with stub flanges ready to install !

Did you look down near Houston like I recommended?

mtnickle - Let me know what yard to make sure it is the same for future reference .The 3.90 he had shipped in has a broken gear in it .

The yard that sold it was a rip off since it was stuck on the drain plug magnet ,easily seen - And should have been seen by them

before they shipped it !

It had a leaky pinion seal and side seal leakage also ! Junk parts are getting to be normal now when you ask for a used

major assembly.

You used to be able to find good diffs locally without problems ,but our local Z car wrecker yard has retired and is not

buying savage cars.I see me possibly taking up the slack in the near future .

Steve

Sorry to hear you got bad parts :(

I never did actually source one myself, but only knew the guy said he had at least 2-3 of them. It was a while back, but I believe this was the place:

http://houston.craigslist.org/ptd/5737136963.html

Are they going to warranty/replace it? usually wrecker parts are sold with at least a 14-30day warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a r-200 long nose with a 3.90 ratio let me know what you have located in Chicago, IL would prefer to be withing driving distance

I have one in Decatur Il that I haven't tried to sell but would be willing to let go of. PM me an offer and what all you would want with it if interested.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...