HybridZ

problems after removing gas tank

I just bought a 1975 Datusn 280z and i drove it home. It ran well beside the exhaust leak  that i will be attempting to fix in the future. I took off the front and rear bumpers first thing. I had to remove the gas tank to remove the rear bumper shocks. After reinstalling the tank, i put some gas in for a total of around 3 gallons. The engine took a while to start and ran kind of crappy so i thought it might need more fuel so i put 2.5 gallons more in. It started and idled fine so i figured it i would drive to gas station to fill up. less than a 1/4 mile from house it started cutting out on me. I started to turn around and it died a few times before I got it back home. I put 2.5 gallons more in the next day and it would idle fine for a long time but still cut out when i tried driving it once it got to higher rpm. I cleaned out the fuel filter and then it ran good for about 3 or 4 high rpm pulls before it started to cut out again. this time it started to idle kind of crappy too. Anyone have any advice? it never cuts out at high rpm when idling though, its just under load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-53072-0-29223900-1472133677_thumb.jpg

When dropping the tank, you likely stirred up/knocked loose some sediment in the fuel tank that is now clogging your filter.   These tanks are notorious for having deposits or old varnish/rust in them which quickly and easily clogs the fuel system.  I would suggest cleaning the tank out real good and resealing it.  putting a clear in-line filter between the tank and pump also helps keep any debris out of the pump, as well as allows you to see if there is any junk in your fuel.

Sounds to me like you likely have rust in the tank and removing / re-installing have moved it.  1. replace fuel filter 2. Put an inline fuel pressure gauge right before the inlet to the fuel rail. 

If it keeps acting up after you replace the filter, check the gauge right away for low pressure.  Good chance you will need to drop the tank again and clean it out.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 1975 Datusn 280z and i drove it home. It ran well beside the exhaust leak  that i will be attempting to fix in the future.

Since you only drove it once, apparently, the problem might have nothing at all to do with the tank work.  Coincidence.  Do some basic troubleshooting and determine if it's a spark or fuel supply problem.  Use the FSM and the Fuel Injection Guide.  You can get them at nicoclub.com or xenonzcar or classiczcars.com.