#1 joey.youssef

joey.youssef

jy.s30z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Need some help on what I should do to my 1978 280z.  I had to change the head gasket due to coolant leaking into the combustion.... When I sent the head to the machine shop for resurfacing they found that it was cracked near the exhaust valve on cylinder 3...  I read that this is common with the N47 heads.

I am looking for a replacement head and I found a P79.  I was considering buying the P79 head and resurface it along with a valve job.  Then I plan on getting new flat top pistons (0.020"-0.040" oversized) and replace the dished pistons I have in my current N42 Block and obviously I will have to bore out the block..

I currently have 2.5" exhaust, headers, K&N intake.  Is this the correct step I should take or should I look for N47 or N42 head instead?

I plan on using the stock cam.

Thanks in Advance

#2 malibud

malibud

Always Here

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNEAR: Black Mountain, North Carolina

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

p79 with flat tops , n47 n42 with dished. flat tops with the n42 is always debatable some people say its great but you have dial back timing . I have a n47 that was just rebuilt with a couple thousand miles on if interested . but if you have p79 already ... 

#3 joey.youssef

joey.youssef

jy.s30z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

I also don't want to have to run super premium fuel since this is a daily driver in the summer.....  

What is a good compression ratio to try to achieve when I am milling the head deck and boring out the block if I go with this P79 head flat piston block set-up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users