HybridZ

280z 5spd motor swap with 280zx turbo motor auto trans?

ericp501

I have a 76 280z, the trans is actually a 5spd out of a non-turbo 280zx.  I've come across an 82 280zx turbo with an auto trans.  I'd like to swap the turbo engine into my car and keep my 5spd trans.  Is this swap doable and will wiring be a nightmare going from an engine with an auto ecu to a car with a manual trans?  I'm also not at all against doing an all new ECU to make it work, I believe a lot of guys use Megasquirt?    I'm sure things like this have been discussed, I just want to be sure before I start committing to anything or if I'm better off waiting to see if a turbo 280zx comes along that is already manual.

It will be the same nightmare for you regardless of transmission.  It's just a plain old turbo engine swap with all of those agonies.  Just remember to remove the spacer from the end of the crankshaft and install a pilot bearing.  

Read the EFEC chapter and check the wiring diagrams if you want to be 100% positive.  They mark auto versus manual functions on the diagrams.