HybridZ

Need advice/input on which combo to go with..

Dramier

I've decided that I don't want to turbo the stock L28E after all.   Not too big of a deal, I only had collected the turbo manifold and downpipe so far so no big loss.   The car in question is a '76 280z.  Without going into too much about it, I just really loved the RB motor.

That being said, I'm having a rough time of choosing which RB combo.    This is NOT my first RB, I had the first Z31 with an RB25 in it here in the States.   

My choices are as follows, and I'm very curious for input from those who are currently running or have made these decisions and might have ideas or suggestions I had not considered..

Goals are streetable, 400HP maximum, that's it.   Nothing fancy.    

I'm trying to decide between going with RB25DET regular or the Neo motor.  

If I go regular RB25DET I would just do the 5 speed transmission and leave it at that.   

However, I am kind of interested in doing the Neo engine instead, and using the Collins adapter and going with a CD01 350Z transmission.   The only real benefit to it I see though is a stronger transmission and six speed of course.   But with the problem of having to have the bell housing milled and possibly having it not fit in the tunnel it sounds like I'd have to do fabrication to get it right.   The RB25DET transmission I had before in my '85 was pretty damn tough, so I can't imagine the 350Z transmission could be much better.   

I'm not afraid of cost although cheaper is obviously always a benefit.   I'm more initially concerned about getting it to be as close to drop-in as possible.   I can fabricate and weld, I'm just trying to get this done in my garage.   I was initially planning on just going with McKinney's kit, but I don't think that's possible with the Neo/CD0 combo.   Has anyone here done that combo?   I did a quick and dirty search but didn't see anybody with it in an S series, and it wouldn't let me just search "Neo".   I'm very interested in trying to go with the Neo, just not finding much in the way of transmissions or information on whether it matches up to the regular RB25.   I found one or two references to it in regards to 240SX swaps, but that doesn't really help.

If I'm being stupid here and it's way easier/cost effective to just do the normal RB25DET don't hesitate to say so.   I won't be offended.   Just don't bother trying to tell me to turbo the stock L28, I'm not interested.   You can buy mine when I pull it and do that if you'd like.   :)  

Realistically what I need is the absolutely closest to drop-in route so I can do this in my garage.   Worst case scenario I can fall back on a shop if I need to, but I just -want- to do it myself.   There's a ton of information on here, but it gets a little convoluted trying to find some specific answers.   There also seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information regarding the Neo engine.    

I hate asking but wasn't turning anything up through searching so I might as well ask while I keep searching.   Thanks!