HybridZ

Z32 transmission and RB25 bellhousing, same length transmission?

proxlamus

So I'm interested in picking up a Z32 transmission for a good price and I know you can take the bellhousing off a rb25/26 and bolt it onto the Z32 transmission.

I am aware the internals are exactly the same and the shifter locations are slightly different.

My question is, does the RB25 transmission and the Z32 transmission have the same overall length to the output shaft and would I need a different driveshaft?

I bought a McKinney motorsports transmission mount and driveshaft package from an aborted project a few years ago and I would like to utilize the RB25 driveshaft from McKinney. If the length of the Z32 and RB25 transmissions are different, then I would prefer not to spend another $400-500 on a new driveshaft to be made.

I found this article on another forum, it's very informative.

Thanks to DETurbine http://forums.nicoclub.com/transmission-comparison-rb25det-vs-vg30dett-t192792.html

"First off here are the measurments of the two:

RB25DET:

Bell housing: 15 ½ inches

Rear housing: 14 ¾ inches

Shifter: 29 ¼ inches (from bell housing to middle of shifter).

Middle case: 1 ¼ inches (where the bell housing and rear housing bolt onto).

VG30DETT

Bell housing: 16 inches

Rear housing: 12 inches

Shifter: 34 inches (from bell housing to middle of shifter).

Middle case: 1 ¼ inches (where the bell housing and rear housing bolt onto).

Shifter position difference between the stock RB25DET and VG30DETT measured from the bell housing to the middle of the shifter hole is 4 ½ inches. VG being the longer one. ** keep in mind this is the RB25 bell housing on the VG transmission.

Driveshaft issues: Keep in mind for those that already have the RB25 in their car and have previously made the custom driveshaft to fit up to their original RB25 transmission and are now going with the VG transmission hybrid swap that you will have to modify the driveshaft since it is going to have to be about 2 ¼ inches shorter then the current driveshaft that you had made.

Now for those people that have said that even the bell housings will bolt up, that it 100% incorrect. They are different in many ways such as the starter natch out on the RB25 bell housing and the bolt holes themself are different.

The RB25DET bell housing will bolt straight up to the VG transmission without any problems. You can leave the rear VG caseing on, but like I had said above, the shifter itself will sit 4 1/2 inches farther back then the RB25 transmission. This wont be so bad for those with the stock R33 crossmember, since the shifter sits to far foward anyway. You are still going to hack up the transmission tunnel a little, but that just takes about 10 min.

For those that are asking why wouldn't you just get a RB25 transmission...well good luck finding one and when you do have fun spending the $1k plus. I bought my VG30DETT transmission for $150 with 30k miles on it and it takes about an hour to swap the bell housings around."