HybridZ

How long until 2jzgte's are hard to source?

tatertoph

30+ years? Look at the L28 for example. Everyone has been using them as race engine fairly heavily from 1970 -1990s and yet you can still find them for less that $1000 easy. 

Don't forget that it wasn't available in north America. Sure you can find L28's here since they sold a ton of them. Also remember most are sold by individuals. A little harder to go to most wreckers or engine shops and find an L28et on the shelf.

The 2jz seems to have been "sold out" at a lot more JDM suppliers in recent years as well as prices going above $8000 with transmission. Once you buy one however, it's pretty easy to find a 2jz non-turbo block in a junk yard that will also hold a crap ton of power. Just swap all your parts onto it.

\

The V160 transmission is the more expensive part of the engine/trans combo though. Yes, the 2JZgte is the better engine due to the additional oil squirters, but the 2JZge engine isn't a pile. Yes, you'll have to source aftermarket turbo exhaust manifold, or weld one up yourself, but good power can be made out of them. It really all depends on what level you're aiming for.

If you can find a GTE however that is a good price for you, but doesn't have a transmission, I'd look into getting an adapter plate and just use the E46 BMW M3 transmission as it's nearly the exact same one.

I just bought a non-vvti gte about a week and a half ago. They don't seem to be as available as they were, especially with the rear sump. Actually it's a lot easier to find the motors than it is to find shops to work on them. At least in CA.

RonA

Its just the transmission that killling your price. $1500 Canadian and you can get a complete Aristo ( 2JZ Twin turbo), auto trans, and wiring harness. Guy here in ontario has that engine and auto trans in his 260 and is running 10.40@134 converted to a single  chinese 70mm ebay turbo.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-quebec/aristo-engine/k0l9001

The V160 transmission is the more expensive part of the engine/trans combo though. Yes, the 2JZgte is the better engine due to the additional oil squirters, but the 2JZge engine isn't a pile. Yes, you'll have to source aftermarket turbo exhaust manifold, or weld one up yourself, but good power can be made out of them. It really all depends on what level you're aiming for.

If you can find a GTE however that is a good price for you, but doesn't have a transmission, I'd look into getting an adapter plate and just use the E46 BMW M3 transmission as it's nearly the exact same one.

I didn't know you could adapt an E46 tranny to a 2jz, thatvwould work great.  With a little searching I saw adapters for 350z/370z's but I have heard theyre unreliable.  I'm sure I could get a nice 6 speed for cheap, those cars are pretty common in the US.

Using many many seconds of googling, I was able to come up with this.

http://www.abc-clutch.com/products/1-2JZ-BMW-gearbox-adapter-KIT

Getreg made both the V160 in the Toyota and the 420G in the BMW, so it makes sense that they're pretty similar. I'm sure there's other adapter kits out there as well.

Those transmissions are going for about 1500-2000 in the greater Northeast. I'm sure someone on craigslist would sell you one for cheaper.

Agreed, the 2jz was in a lot of cars so they will be around for a while. The 2jzgte was in a couple so maybe harder to find, but getting a 2jzge to stock 2jzgte power levels is easy, the difference only will really show in the mid power level point which is really way too much power for our cars anyways.

The BMW transmission is pretty interesting, the abc link is to a place in latvia and doesn't show a price, but collins adapter which we all know from the cd009 adapters make an adapter for the getrag gear boxes for a very affordable price. 

I am pretty sure a front sump engine will not work, even the mid sump engine will have troubles unless you lift the engine or do something with the cross member and steering rack. You really need the rear sump to be successful in the swap without the engine sitting for forward or further up.