HybridZ

Engine build: L28 crank + L24 rods + KA24 pistons

lauko

Hello fellow Z guys!

It's my first post here so I hope no one minds being a technical question. I have been following some of the threads here for some time now and finally found a question with no answer.

I have seen the combination L28 + L24 rods + 89mm KA24 pistons in a few threads (and on some other web forums), but everywhere it was just described as a possible option or as a "plan for doing a build".

I want to hear some hands-on experience from someone who has already build it and drove it. And the most important question: would he build it again? :)

The 3.0 that you get from that combination of parts sounds very nice to me (especially because there is no way to find a LD28 crank in Europe), what bothers me is only the cca 9.3:1 compression ratio that you get with the N42 head (probably the best option regarding CR). I am not sure if that is enough for a "performance" engine.

Thanks,

Peter

Oh, interesting. So maybe we will soon have another L28 / KA24 engine build thread, where the owner changed his mind? :)

Anyway, I sent JelmerPatrol a message about the crank. I'm still curious about the KA24 combo, if anyone has some experience, please do share!

Thanks,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

^Don't forget head gasket thickness.

I was one of those who talked about it in the beginning of my build, but ended up just talking. I will have to look it up, but I think that combo can be run without the stroker crank for a slight displacement increase up to 3L. As stated it is just a bottom end spec, if the head doesn't flow or you don't supply it with enough fuel/air/exhaust out then it won't do much good. Looking at the numbers associated with good headwork a good triple carb setup and a good exhaust got me on my road to a swap.

Edited by seattlejester

Hi!

Yes of course the head work is a crucial part of the build. But even with a good head work the 9.3 CR seems to me a bit too low to get some serious power. I imagine that also a good exhaust and intake / carbs can't help you much if the CR is not a bit higher than only 9.3. Am I mistaken...?

Peter

^What risks?

As long as the timing is in check and the fuel is adequate and the build is done appropriately there is no added risk. This also has a chain so there is more safety then a belt driven motor. If you don't use this combo and start going for a custom piston with a lower pin height for compression and have to machine in valve reliefs then you are looking at some risk.

If CR is a concern you can get custom pistons, if you want to make power without changing the compression a turbo would be much cheaper. 

• 1 month later...

Finished a 3.1L build a few months back. LD28/VO7 crankshaft, late(9mm) L24 rods with ARP bolts, 89mm KA24 pistons with slight dish. L28 N42 block and N42 head, ARP head studs.

Rebello hot street camshaft, Isky valve springs and retainers, OEM adjustable camshaft gear, lightweight steel flywheel, Performance Products SFI spec harmonic damper.

OEM high volume oil pump, Mallory Unilite distributor and coil, triple Weber 45 DCOE carbs, Cannon intake manifold, ceramic coated Pacestetter header, etc.

Block was clearanced for the LD28 crankshaft and bored using a torque plate, head received porting and smoothing work, intake manifold match ported, engine balanced to within 1 gram.

.075" Cometic MLS head gasket used for approx. 9.6 to 1 compression ratio, custom carb heat shield, OEM fuel rail modified to add 3rd fuel outlet, valve cover and crankcase vented to catch tank with breather and drain, etc.

2 1/2" exhaust system, OEM Exedy/Daikin 240mm clutch set, 280ZX close ratio 5 speed, 300ZX Turbo R200 3.70 limited slip differential, etc.

The engine had it's final tune with about 1,500 miles on it when initial timing was reset and the final set of advanced timing curve springs were installed in the distributor.

The engine is in a 73 240Z and I tried to make the install look almost like it was stock except for the Weber carbs, but as soon as the engine is fired up you know it is definitely not stock.

The engine revs to 6,500 RPM quickly and the car will make 90 MPH in 3rd gear like right now. A lot of fun to drive. The engine was not an inexpensive proposition but well worth it.

IMG 1567

IMG 1585

IMG 1589

IMG 1833

Edited by OLDZZZ

You can also buy a package from Rebello. He sells kits with cast or forged pistons.

The price he gave for the kit blow was "arround 2k" in 2011

You can buy our stroker kit. It comes with a stroked L28 crank (81mm)

forged J&E piston, billet long rods and engine bearings.

We usually go about 1.5mm over bore which will give you a 2720cc engine.

We have gone further on the over bore but you need to sonic test the cylinders.