HybridZ

280z - 240sx gearbox conversion

Villeman

Hi,

i have a quick question, I just followed the article to adapt a 240sx gearbox with the help of a modified 280z 4 speed bellhousing to my Z. Question is, we opened the lower bearing from 58mm to 62mm but how much clearance do you need? My father argues that a H7 should be good, the mechanic used 1.5 hundredth (negative) , so its 61,985mm for the bearing to be pressed it... since the borrowed tool is still there, is a negative clearance okay with a aluminium bellhousing?

I am refering to this article

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/transmission.htm

they tell you to increase the size since the bearing will be pressed in by the shaft during assembly, but we ended witha bearing stuck in the bellhousing while disassembling it. Anybody done that before?

Would hot assembly be an option?

Edited by Villeman

Can't tell if you're about to open the hole or you've already done it.  You could measure the existing hole to see what Nissan did.  I think that Nissan set their specs for a hot transmission case.  For example, the countershaft bearing preload shim.

You said said disssembly but it looks like you mean assembly.  "we ended witha bearing stuck in the bellhousing while disassembling it. "

Sounds like you used a .015 mm  interference fit and now you cant' get the bearing in.  .015 mm on a 62 mm bearing.  Doesn't seem like it should be a problem.  I know what I'd do but the pros would have a more valuable opinion.  Good luck.

Well, the bearing was stuck while we took the C gearbox apart, so i assumed it was meant to "stick". If it´s supposed not to be pressed then we screwed it up...should have checked before :(

I haven´t tried to assemble it so far, we just still had the tools so we could have widened it some more. I guess it will be trial and file ......

Edit: NewZEd thanks for the read, that tells me I should have had more clearance right.... darn...

Edited by Villeman