HybridZ

Strut tower brace change my camber? (280zx chumpcar racer)

Hi,

Can installing a strut tower brace change my camber? 

For various reasons I have to do an alignment (race shop) on Monday but will get my triangular strut tower brace on Tuesday.

Since the strut brace will push the towers outwards I am worried that it might mess up the camber.

It is possible to change camber by pulling/pushing the struts outwards/inwards to the car

I have T3 tension rods, MSA camber kit and stock struts (with different springs and shocks). This strut brace, http://www.racetep.com/automaker/datsun-z/z-car-front-ultimate-strut-tower-brace/datsun-280zx-ultimate-strut-tower-brace.html

Car is 1980 280zx.

The strut tower bar actually prevents the strut towers from bending out under cornering. When you take a left turn for example, there is a strong inward force applied via the contact patch at the right front tire. That tries to move the tire inward, and pull the top of the strut outward. So you lose camber under hard cornering. The STB holds everything in place. Since it just holds the original position, it won't affect the static camber one way or the other.

It does also prevent the strut towers from moving together when you hit a bump, but that's its much less important function. What matters is what happens when you're turning.

You should make your own. For a chump car, I'd just take some tubing and bolt each end to the strut towers. If you use round tubing, crush the ends and drill a hole. If you use square tubing, cut the ends at an angle and drill the hole. You can do the triangulation to the firewall too if desired, wouldn't be too difficult to figure out.