HybridZ

To cut or not cut a lowering spring

I recently installed lowering springs on my 77 280Z, the ride height was exactly what I wanted.  Later I removed the big factory bumpers and all the hardware and have installed the MSA fiberglass bumpers.  with all that weight being gone, I feel like the car is sitting somewhere close to stock levels again.  What do you folks think about cut a small portion of the spring for a little additional lowering?  At one time I had heard cutting a stock spring was not wise but lowering springs wouldn't be as adversely affected. 

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Jay

post-53249-0-83978300-1475031260_thumb.jpg

If you get the spring hot (using a cutting torch) you can ruin the temper of the spring. If you cut it with a cutoff wheel there really isn't much downside to it. Lowering springs and stock springs are both springs, and subject to the same issues with heat.

Cut 1/2 coil at a time until you get the ride height you want.

^ Agreed. Cut off wheel is the way to go.

Sometimes you need to flatten the last coil to make it seat better in the spring cup. You will have to heat the last 1/4 to 1/2 coil with a Torch to do this. However, it really doesn't affect spring rate a great deal, as the last coil is usually " inactive " if flat wound. 

• 2 months later...

I have a 71 240 z that I cut 1 1/3 or 1 1/2 coils off top of front stock springs with a cut off wheel, because front set 1" higher than back. I have KYB shocks,

Car now sets level. I took a guess, got lucky first time. I made sure tire pressure was same all 4 tires, then measured to center edge of fender opening to get an idea of how much I wanted to lower.

I found a reference of approximately how much to cut off on one of these z websites where someone else did a spring cut, can't remember which one.

I did a ratio of their cut to how much I wanted to take off. 

I didn't flatten end coil where I cut off, as it sets in spring cup good as is. I'm happy with height and ride, and glad I did it.

• 2 weeks later...