HybridZ

L Series Variable Valve Timing

jacky4566

Has anyone ever investigated adding VVT to the L series heads? Seems like it would be "easy" given the first cam tower is removable and has an oil feed. In my mind one would simply need a new front cam tower with integrated solenoid a custom camshaft and an adjustable cam gear from a chain driven engine. Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't OS Giken make a limited run for almost $20k a piece?

No, they did not. 

You guys realise on a single overhead cam engine, you don't do "variable valve timing" because there's no way to alter the phase relationship of intake and exhaust cams on the same cam blank, right?

Please, someone ... anyone ... restore my faith!

No, they did not. 

You guys realise on a single overhead cam engine, you don't do "variable valve timing" because there's no way to alter the phase relationship of intake and exhaust cams on the same cam blank, right?

Please, someone ... anyone ... restore my faith!

VTEC yo!

On alot of the midsize Cat truck engines,3406,3456 etc,they had single cam vvt.

They worked by having a a "rack" over each set over cylinders(straight 6).

The rack was fed with with engine oil,that when actuated by a solenoid in the rack,would push down a little pawl on the bridge for the intakr valves on that cylinder.Cat calls it VVA,variable valve actuation.

Haha Tony D your probably my favorite person on this forum.

But your right. On a SOHC you cant change the relationship between intake and ext. But changing the cam timing should change the peak hp rpm right? So it stands to reason that vvti type system should still have benefit on a SOHC.

KidandhisCar that sounds like a vtec type system? Its changing the valve lift right?

I did see that Mahle developed these trick camshafts. 

http://www.mahle.com/mahle/en/news-and-press/press-releases/mahle-camincam-variable-valve-train-increases-torque-significantly.jsp

Super cool idea! Probably cost 20k though. 

It doesnt change how far the valve opens, just how long it stays open.

Its pretty neat,its only on the ohc engines,as on a pushrod engine the pushrod would fall out.

Also,i said the actuator pawl pushes on the bridge,that was a typo,it pushes on a flat spot on top of the rocker,wich pushes on the bridge.

You'll probably ask, what happens to the roller on the back of the rocker when it slams back onto the cam when the actuator lets off,well....thats probably why roller failure is pretty common on those engines haha.

Edit: here's a pic of it

post-48934-0-83271200-1477164213_thumb.jpg

Edited by KidandhisCar