HybridZ

Fuel starvation after heavy cornering on track

turbogrill

Hi,

After heavy cornering and low tank I get fuel starvation on my 280zx track car. It's an endurance racer so I need every drop of gas in the tank. I think I have maybe 2-5 gallons left when this happens.

I know for BMWs there are kits you can buy that fixes this. Another solution is Fuel cell but that is ~$1000.

Is this a common problem? Any solutions for this?

Thanks

I swear by the ATL Black Box fuel sump. It is a gated plastic box that sits inside your fuel cell. The fuel pump is inside the box and is plumbed out through the top of the cell. Gates allow fuel into the box from three sides. I also plumb my fuel return into the top of the box.

The system is so effective that l have completed a track session without any starvation issues and then have the car run out of fuel loading it onto the trailer. Good to the last drop.

I have been recently researching fueling options other than the fuel cell route and was in touch with both Holly for the hydromat as mentioned, as well as Aeromotive for their Phantom line. 

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/efi_in-tank_pumps/parts/12-132

The Aeromotive Phantom Flex with dual 340LPH pumps is what I will be going with as I am planning on using 91 premium and E85 and this kit can run multiple in tank pumps to supply enough fuel for E85 and bigger power goals.

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/phantom-flex/

However, as CalZ pointed out this may all be a waste if not permitted by the rules. 

I swear by the ATL Black Box fuel sump. It is a gated plastic box that sits inside your fuel cell. The fuel pump is inside the box and is plumbed out through the top of the cell. Gates allow fuel into the box from three sides. I also plumb my fuel return into the top of the box.

The system is so effective that l have completed a track session without any starvation issues and then have the car run out of fuel loading it onto the trailer. Good to the last drop.

I have also had my eye on this as well since way back when a member made the rings to customize the stock tanks. I still have mine from that original group buy all fresh in cadmium coating. Since deciding on going the "flex fuel" 91- E85 route, I don't think the black box will support the flow for E85 or is compatible with it. Bummer because as you have mentioned, works great for straight fuel. 

There really isn't a way for the ZX without putting in baffles or some type of foam stuff to keep the gas in one area one the tank is low. A surge tank will help, but you can still potentially starve it and still run low. 

Is accidentally bashing your tank so the low point is near the pickup allowed?