HybridZ

Water temp sender issue. Despite fixes

1983zx

Ok. Water temp in dash reads zero. Replaced temp sensor. Checked dash temp sensor with meter, Checked out fine. But orange sensor light still comes on, red "water" light stays lit and water temp still reads zero. While I was in there, changed water pump and thermostat.

Am I missing something? I've cleaned the connections of the bullet on the temp sensor and where it connects. Why won't my water temp sensor work?!

Please help. I'm new to z's but thought I tried to read up as much as possible. Have the manuals etc.

Thanks fellows/ladies.

83zx N/A

The circuit for the gauge grounds through the "thermal transmitter" threads.  No ground might mean no reading.  Put meter probes on the transmitter body and the engine block and make sure you have continuity.  Teflon tape and/or thread sealer might disrupt that ground circuit.

The circuit is shown on page EL-83 (kind of a goofy diagram).  It's the Y wire.  Upper right is the transmitter.  There's also a voltage regulator that's part of the gauge.

Ok. Water temp in dash reads zero. Replaced temp sensor. Checked dash temp sensor with meter, Checked out fine. But orange sensor light still comes on, red "water" light stays lit and water temp still reads zero. While I was in there, changed water pump and thermostat.

Am I missing something? I've cleaned the connections of the bullet on the temp sensor and where it connects. Why won't my water temp sensor work?!

Please help. I'm new to z's but thought I tried to read up as much as possible. Have the manuals etc.

Thanks fellows/ladies.

83zx N/A

If you don't care about looks then save your self some time and buy a new gauge and sender.

Lots of affordable ones.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...