HybridZ

HX35w Housing Question

HuD 91gt

I just picked up a nice little (Looks big to me) HX35w with a 18cm housing.   Does anyone have any experience running this larger 18cm housing on a 2.8?

It also came with a 12cm housing, but the 18 has a very nice V band already welded (As well as being mounted to the turbo).

Should I even bother with attempting the larger housing or should I swap out to the 12cm right away.

This is a street driven,1mm overbore L28. 8.6:1 compression.   Hoping for about 350 rwhp eventually.

Picture is for entertainment purposes only.
photo.jpg

Edited by HuD 91gt

I ran the 12cm^2 exhaust housing on my 260z for several years before replacing it with a .68ar housing.

The 12cm^2 housing worked but had a little more lag than I liked. I was getting peak manifold pressure of 18 psi by 4300-4500 RPM on an N42 bottom end and a p79 head with a stock C cam. I cant comment on the larger 16cm^2 housing, but I personally wouldn't want anything with a higher boost threshold..

Since changing to the .68ar housing, I am reaching 18psi by 3300-3500 now; which I feel is perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

I ran the 12cm^2 exhaust housing on my 260z for several years before replacing it with a .68ar housing.

The 12cm^2 housing worked but had a little more lag than I liked. I was getting peak manifold pressure of 18 psi by 4300-4500 RPM on an N42 bottom end and a p79 head with a stock C cam. I cant comment on the larger 16cm^2 housing, but I personally wouldn't want anything with a higher boost threshold..

Since changing to the .68ar housing, I am reaching 18psi by 3300-3500 now; which I feel is perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

where'd you get that small of a housing for the holset?

where'd you get that small of a housing for the holset?

Place called Tims Turbos on eBay. I looked and it looks like they are no longer on eBay but a Google search turned up their website. If I remember correctly the housing wasn't terribly expensive either. The only caveat is the fact that the housing doesn't have provisions to be internally wastegated. I welded on an external wastegate on the manifold under the turbo flange when I installed it.

Thanks for the inout guys.  lowrider, your the only one who I can reach who has real world experience.  I was doing some searching on the BMW boards, and the 2.8L guys seem to like the 16-18cm housing, the the little 2.5L M20 guys tend go with the smaller housing from Turbo Toms or the like.   I'll shoot him a message and see if they are even still available.