HybridZ

New source for adjustable front control arms?

Has anybody tried these, or at least have some data on them?  Seems like a new source for adjustable fronts, at a really cheap price.  I hadn't seen these until recently, and figured I'd ask if anyone knew anything about them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-70-78-Control-Arm-Front-Aluminum-Adjustable-NEW-890-/322270157450?fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item4b08cc5a8a:g:8oEAAOSwOdpX1bwb&vxp=mtr

I just bought a pair of these. They are even cheaper (189) if you buy from their site.

Overall quality seems to be good. One thing though is that the adjuster included isn't particularly long. It's a 4" adjuster, but after the 2 jam nuts and center hex portion, it only leaves about 1-3/16" of thread inside the rod end and aluminum body. That is when the arm is set at the factory length. As a note, it will adjust about 3/16-1/4" shorter than stock length.

But with 1-3/16" of thread at stock length, if you use the 1.5X rule, then it doesn't leave a whole lot of adjustment. it's a 3/4" shank, so 1.5X would mean you'd want 1-1/8" of thread in both the body and the rod end. That means we'd only have about 1/8" adjustment over stock!

The best solution would be to use a 5" adjuster that fills both the rod end and arm body when the arm is at stock length.

Something like this:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5079515-allstar-performance-3-4-thread-x-5-long-double-adjuster.html

After emailing the seller, they informed me that with the jam nuts being used as well you don't HAVE to go by the 1.5X rule. He said if it was a true racecar, then perhaps ordering the longer adjuster would be useful, but didn't offer to exchange the adjuster for me. He felt comfortable if the aluminum side had 3/4" of thread and the steel rod end side had 1/2" of thread.

I probably only need about 1/2"-3/4" of adjustment otherwise I'll run out of tie rod length safety. Should be good for 1.5* of camber as I had hoped. I'll leave a touch more thread in the aluminum to be safe, but I too feel it should be ok with 1" of thread in each side.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks for all that info, Mark....and good tip regarding the longer adjuster bolt.

The AZC arms are indeed $299 per side; but of course they include an adjustable TC rod, as well.

Thx, everyone.

r/John