HybridZ

Diff seals, cv joint fun, and misc other driveline banter

heavy85

Some already know this but car is a 240Z with mostly stock LS1 that's a time trial / hill climb racer. Been racing it for 8+ years. I raced on slicks (road race kind not drag) for a couple years with stock axles and a 3.7 R200 with only issue being the half shafts bolts kept loosening up. No failures at all. But then thought would be good idea to convert to CV's. Rebuild some 280ZX(T ... don't remember) axles and in the end don't see any advantages. The new boots started tearing almost imediately which I kept scabbing on RTV, tire patches, anything I could think of to keep the grease in. They are a PITA to rebuild. And the outer bolts still loosen up just like the 240Z half shafts did only when the CV bolts loosen grease oozes out. Somewhere along the line bought a second spare set of ZX axles and eventually swapped those in. Then diff seals started leaking. Apparently there are two different diff seals, one with dust shield and one without. The CV's don't work with the dust shields and just tear them up. Then for some still unknown reason the passenger side started machining itself into the side of the diff. Looking closely and the splined area is slightly different than the first set but doesn't look like should cause the problem. Still not sure why. So after fighting issues with the 280ZX axles leaking and loosening and other weirdness for several years I said screw it and put back in the stock 240Z driveline and plan to keep rocking them. Also recently converted to 3.54 years which I have to believe the ratio impacts half shaft issues and lower should be better. On a side note also have run the same 240Z stub axles all these years too with only issue is cracked a wheel mounting flange going off track sideways at about 80 mph ....

Now for the current fun with axles. Just put in new seals and almost imediately they started leaking. Took the axles back out and the seals are still in like new condition. The axles flanges seem to slide in enough to engage the seals. I've replaced these seals a couple times before over the years but am scratching my head why they are leaking unless maybe need to find some of those other seals with the dust shields built in?? Are there different seals between ZX axles and Z axles or something?

Weren't you running an OBX LSD? The reason for the CVs hitting the diff housing is likely wasted washers in there.

Was until it died then ponied up for OS Giken which is when the axle machined itself into the diff. But swapped axles at same time as the Giken went in so assumed it was the axle? Actually took the diff back appart to make sure it wasn't installed offset or something but it wasn't.

Edited by heavy85