#41 G-Tech

G-Tech

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Locationrochester ny

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

thank you but not really what this thread is for...tryin to help with info for 280zx (s130) Ls swaps. a 280z is a different animal..thank you for the thought though.

#42 Tenano

Tenano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'm in progress of an ls1 & t56 on my 79" 280zx what mounts can I use for motor and tranny any pictures?

#43 G-Tech

G-Tech

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Locationrochester ny

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

i used jtr small block chevy mount kit and Ls to sbc adapter plates. i did some modifications to them that i talked about on the previous page of this thread, pictures too. subhuman had another idea that probably worked that he also talked about. there is nothing that will just straight up bolt in. for the tranny cross member i also used jtr for a 5-speed trans.and had to make an extension plate for the extra length of the t-56. good luck, and dont rush it. there is alot of lil obstacles you will just have to be creative with. let me know when you get stuck on the next thing.  

#44 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana/Tejas

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Say G-Tech, I have been eye balling the Dirty dingo motor mounts lately for the S30's I don't see why they wouldn't work in our s130's with a little modification as well. not 100% sure how much you can slide them forward though, but it's a thought.  Hooker makes adapter plates as well, I don't know how far they move things forward either though.

http://www.dirtyding...roducts_id=1430

http://www.jegs.com/.../12611/10002/-1

Couple different options for modifications.

Art mimics life

#45 G-Tech

G-Tech

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Locationrochester ny

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

They look like they would work. I thought what I did with the SBC mounts and the LS adapter plates made perfect sense in theory but it didnt. It worked but took more work than I thought it would...I said before I like dirty dingo stuff. I bet those would work well

#46 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana/Tejas

Posted 2 weeks ago

A little status update on my build. Been hauling ass seeing as we head back to Texas July 5th...

Before we wrapped the rear floor up I had to address the beat rails and get them situated. Part of the floors got cut out above the rails so I could gain access, I welded a 1/2' bolt to some small pieces of 1/8" flat plate and tacked these to the rail. Then used my slide hammer and 1/2" all thread and a coupler, heated the rail up with the torch and pulled out most of it. What we couldn't get with the slide hammer we used a piece of 3/8 x 3" flat plate and beat them out with the 5lb hammer, it sucked. Next I bent up all the sheaths for the rail, opted to do this instead of cut them out so it preserved the structural integrity of the sub frame. Pictures are self explanatory. I included the measurements so if anybody wants to do this it's there. It took me a dozen tries to get the right measurements, so your welcome. There's some pictures of the rear floor, everything is tied in and back in place, we still have a couple spots to weld it in solid, just waiting on my buddy to get freed up so we can finish buttoning it up. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  X34.jpg   86.51KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X38.jpg   81.82KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X35.jpg   227.91KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X36.jpg   188.68KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X37.jpg   223.82KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X40.jpg   71.95KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  x41.jpg   80.01KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X42.jpg   103.95KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X46.jpg   98.53KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X45.jpg   89.53KB   0 downloads

Art mimics life

#47 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana/Tejas

Posted 2 weeks ago

Onto the floors, also a PITA. I made forms out of 3/4" ply, cut them out and routed them. then I screwed them to another piece of ply, clamped them down and using a torch periodically hand pounded them out. If I had a bearing press it would have made the job so much easier, but it was worth the experience I suppose. Regardless The floors are now back in and welded solid, probably way more sturdy than the original OEM stuff. We doubled up over the rear sub frame mounts with 18ga and then I got grade 8 bolts and welded those to some 1/8" flat plate which will get welded to the floor. Onto paint.

Attached Files

• Attached File  X43.jpg   76.76KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X78.jpg   77.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X44.jpg   66.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X47.jpg   78.01KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X48.jpg   68.19KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X49.jpg   81.6KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X50.jpg   95.21KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X73.jpg   57.04KB   0 downloads

Art mimics life

#48 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana/Tejas

Posted 2 weeks ago

Interior engine bay and underside have been primed with Upol Acid #8 at this point. I have been bouncing back and forth between fabricating the radiator support and Por 15'n all the suspension components, while lathing Aluminum bushings. The radiator gussets, supports and sheet metal are all welded in at this point. We also welded 1/8" plate over the front strut towers, rear will get it too from the bottom though. I picked up some TTT camber plates and everything has been drilled out now, I still need to notch the towers for adjustment but have enough on my plate for the time being. I'll get back around to it later. The front cross member, sub frame and trailing arms, under dash bar, steering column and various odd n' ends all have two coats of Por 15 on them and are ready for re-assembly. I have all new Poly bushings and wheel bearings ready to go in, but that's just an afternoon of work so right now my focus is body work and getting the car blocked and banging some dents out.

G-Tech or anyone else...How far over the front cross member does the harmonic balancer hang? I'm using the corvette balancer and only running the alternator and water pump. I really want to do a V mount but the mock up in the pictures are quite extreme, the radiator will fit on the back side as well but I really want that extreme kick. One more for you guys..did you cut the OE transmission tabs out of the tunnel to run the GM transmission? I am assuming so. Some pics would be awesome if some body could throw some up.

I need to go home and get some sanding done tonight, I have a long ways to go and a short time to get there. If I get done at a reasonable time I'll try and post some more pictures up. The motor should be out of the machine shop in the next couple weeks   :twisted: !!!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  X51.jpg   79.85KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X52.jpg   75.14KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X53.jpg   77.79KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X58.jpg   74.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X59.jpg   85.32KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  x60.jpg   62.51KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X61.jpg   93.43KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X62.jpg   80.49KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X63.jpg   92.19KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X64.jpg   81.4KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X65.jpg   96.23KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  X66.jpg   80.84KB   0 downloads

Art mimics life

#49 G-Tech

G-Tech

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Locationrochester ny

Posted 2 weeks ago

looking good as always. like what you are doing with the radiator. here are couple pics of were my motor sits.i basically put it an inch or 2 from the fire wall.... keep going, mayb by next spring you'll have one badass s130.

Attached Files

• Attached File  156.jpg   87.49KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  145.jpg   73.97KB   0 downloads

Edited by G-Tech, 2 weeks ago.

#50 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMontana/Tejas

Posted 5 days ago

Thanks for the pictures G-Tech! Looking at your set up I should be able to kick that radiator out where I want it, still have to figure out where I'm going to stick that massive Holset though. Dear god I hope I have the motor in it by next spring! I ordered a 6 point roll bar from Chassis Engineering down in Florida, it should be here Friday. They have a pretty sweet template you print off and send them the measurements and they bend it up and ship it to you. I picked it up for $174! + shipping but, hey under 5 bills it's screaming, probably cheaper than you could make it. I'll snap a couple pictures Friday night when it comes in. Best part is, they will keep the measurements on file. So that means...all us S130, 280zx guys n' gals will have a bent to fit source for roll bars!!

A buddy and I are running down to Idaho Sunday to pillage a parts car for some odd's n' ends so that will be fun, nothing like road trips and part hunting. Gonna order seats before the weekend as well so we can get the roll bar in when I get back from Washington on the 5th. I need to finish up the plinth's and spreader plates Thursday while my buddy wraps up the welding. Gotta get this sucker painted by the 12th of June. I put the wife and boy on the plane for Texas the 23rd of June, so my window is quickly closing to get the Ol' Girl painted and back on the ground.

http://chassisengine...ory&path=39_292

http://chassisengine...IS_KIT_FORM.pdf

Art mimics life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users