HybridZ

Maintaining the rare uncracked dash

Samurai7one

Being the keeper of an old Z with an original uncracked dashboard for the past five years, I have often wondered how mine survived. So, I thought I would ask others who have survivor-dashes how they maintain theirs.

My strategy for maintaining it has been two basic rules:

1) first I never apply any armor-all type products. I use just a damp cloth to wipe it off occasionally. Cars that I had in the past where I used dash protectant products, the dashes all cracked. Keeping to the no chemicals rule, I also don't touch it as to put body oils on it that I would need cleaner to remove.

2) This is obvious but, Second is no unnecessary sunlight. My z is garage kept and when I drive it to work occasionally, I put a towel across the dash. Most other driving I do is usually to a car show. Now towel on dash in that case, but I at least I leave the windows down so I don't build up heat.

That's what has worked for me anyway. Results, and opinions will vary. Anyone have any good info on keeping these old dashboards from cracking?

Just what you said, no harsh cleaners or chemicals, and limit sunlight.  That's kept my uncracked* dash from cracking during the past 4.5 years of ownership.  

*there is a tiny little crack developing by the VIN plate, but it hasn't progressed even 1mm in the 4.5 years I've owned the car.  Bloody stressful though, knowing it's there and might decide to start growing!