HybridZ

Upgrade Alternator

blackandblu

I purchased a "bolt in" replacement from Quality Power...

I gave them the serial number on the stock RB25DET alternator and the provided me with what they assured me would be a direct bolt-in 180A replacement...ehhhh, not so much.

The plug did not work, ie the battery was not getting charged (posts on alternator had different current configuration than factory unit apparently), and the ears were in different locations than the stock unit.

I called them and they insisted that it was the right alternator, but then told me I may have to fabricate a bracket, and they also told me how to bypass the factory plug and wire it so that it would charge... :huh:   not exactly "bolt in".

The ears were off ever so slightly...however it required me to have the factory bracket modified. I had to cut it and have it re-welded with an offset.

You can see in the picture the top of the bracket that used to be a straight piece, and now is somewhat like a "p" due to the offset.

post-14582-0-66943000-1477280225_thumb.jpg

Aside from that the alternator works...it did have a slight squeal from the bearing on start up that eventually quiets down when the car is warm...not the greatest experience overall.

I did not test the actual amperage output, so I'm assuming it's as advertised.

Ultimately, had they not advertised it as a direct bolt in replacement, it wouldn't have been such a frustrating experience as I would have known going in I had some modifications to make. But when you are told it's bolt in and it requires fabrication and re-wiring it's quite a letdown.

I purchased a "bolt in" replacement from Quality Power...

I gave them the serial number on the stock RB25DET alternator and the provided me with what they assured me would be a direct bolt-in 180A replacement...ehhhh, not so much.

The plug did not work, ie the battery was not getting charged (posts on alternator had different current configuration than factory unit apparently), and the ears were in different locations than the stock unit.

I called them and they insisted that it was the right alternator, but then told me I may have to fabricate a bracket, and they also told me how to bypass the factory plug and wire it so that it would charge... :huh:   not exactly "bolt in".

The ears were off ever so slightly...however it required me to have the factory bracket modified. I had to cut it and have it re-welded with an offset.

You can see in the picture the top of the bracket that used to be a straight piece, and now is somewhat like a "p" due to the offset.

attachicon.gifAlternator Bracket.jpg

Aside from that the alternator works...it did have a slight squeal from the bearing on start up that eventually quiets down when the car is warm...not the greatest experience overall.

I did not test the actual amperage output, so I'm assuming it's as advertised.

Ultimately, had they not advertised it as a direct bolt in replacement, it wouldn't have been such a frustrating experience as I would have known going in I had some modifications to make. But when you are told it's bolt in and it requires fabrication and re-wiring it's quite a letdown.

That's exactly what I read in a number of reviews , and that the Idle voltage is way down and the total amperage output was not as advertised

I think the best choice is  lexus ls460 output 350amp

I just looked at the LS 460  alternator - looks like the mounts are 90 degrees out.   any specifics on the one you used ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So more to the story...

The "Quality" Power alternator went kaput....

I called them up, spoke to Ron, gave him the part number of the alternator he sent me, and asked for another one...I explained to Ron that despite being told by him the first time that it was a "bolt on", it was anything but...nothing resembling contrition ensued.

however, I told him that was behind and now that I had made the modifications for it to fit, the only thing I wanted assurance of was that he send me the exact same alternator.

He insisted that, based on the part number which I had on the invoice as well as the box, it would be exactly the same...so I ordered it.

I'm sure it surprises no one at this point that when I received it, it was not exactly the same...

It was the same body...with a completely different sized pulley. 

I called him, incredulous since I had specifically spoken to him about this, and he just matter-of-factly said that different units need different size pulleys to achieve the target output.... :wacko:  Naturally, nothing even resembling an apology ensued. 

Since this was a custom application, it wasn't like I had walked into AutoZone and said "give me an RB25DET alternator belt for a Quality Power unit"...it was, of course, a tedious process of measuring with string and trial and error with several different belts to find the one that would fit.  (no the factory RB25DET belt would not fit)

Long story short (as can be), found the right belt and installed...and the thing crapped out in 3 days.... :angry:

Not wanting to deal with the litany of excuses and the almost certain "you must have installed it wrong", let alone waste the time, money, and effort of pulling the thing out, shipping it back to Cali, and waiting for a replacement unit from a place that had established a less than stellar track record...I threw my hands in the air and walked away having wasted a substantial amount of time and money. 

My biggest concern was down time, so I googled the part number (something I should have done in the first place) and it turns out that the unit was from a 95 Mitsubishi Galant.

I went to the corner Advance Auto Parts and bought one in stock...refurbished of all things...with a lifetime warranty...for $99.00....

FAR less than the $275.00 "Quality" Power charged me for a non-bolt in unit that died on me twice....

And lo and behold...the refurbished cheap-o unit works like a charm and is still running strong...

I'll let you, the reader, infer the moral of this story regarding "Quality" Power.

• 8 months later...

i kept having issues with the quest alternators so i bought one rebuilt by Bosche this time, it seems to have better quality windings so we will see how it holds up. Its under driven 30%. If she burns up ill have to have a different pulley made.

• 1 year later...