HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
joa_taste

1j-vvti/Ar-5 Build

Posted (edited)

Run it by the forum first :D. Half of my thread I think is me thinking out loud. The other half is me asking friends their advice and thoughts. I definitely can be annoying though :P

The thing is car being toast is ok. You being toast not so good. 

A lot of people use the term cage incorrectly so if you meant a roll bar then that is fine in almost all aspects. A cage though is pretty unforgiving in our cars. You can do a pretty good halo bar, but there really isn't any bouncing your head off of that which can happen in even a slow impact crash, you can add the high density foam pads, but then you have essentially a 4-5 inch diameter beam right next to your head at all times. My car in full reinforcement spec has a whole bunch of bars, people always comment on my "cage" in reailty I think I might actually be removing it if not simplifying it greatly in the near future.

Edited by seattlejester

joa_taste    0

Started to finish the hardlines then thought of the long run. Kinda  got stuck with going to the stock hardline on the chassis to my hardlines..So after really thinking about it for a second, I switched to 8an fittings with 8an steel braided hoses.

IMG_6765.thumb.JPG.5b8b648fe1a762a4a746cba60fb42e50.JPGIMG_6766.thumb.JPG.041034d892a84874b04a72b47a58c62f.JPG

IMG_6764.thumb.JPG.9c7d7bd7a91476c74229cec25b37e722.JPGIMG_6767.thumb.JPG.df07ee7a7000c8cacb4af638287f58cf.JPG

With that said I ran my lines to the driver side tranny tunnel of the car. My first plan was to remove the stock lines and run them the same route, but I thought against it and ran my lines elsewhere. I attached it to the bottom part of the tranny tunnel, pretty happy how it turned out. 

So my map wasn't the issue at all, it was actually the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) the three wires that go into the sensor, there was one wire that wasn't getting a connection. 

52546124319__29C9EC6C-4EA2-4AE4-BE28-3D259475D495.thumb.JPG.bb25b797132602b21ae52c9ecbb75c10.JPG

After taking the sensor off and resodering the wire, it fired right up. Amazing what one wire could do. 
Car is up and running now. Im running a little hot tho, and a little lean... So i checked the cooling system, only had water in it. Switched over to the Zerex asian RED coolant (a lot of people swear by this so I checked it out.Burped the system. Still running hot. Remembered I never changed my therm. So i got the mishimoto one from driftmotion. Still running hot. I know for sure my timing is probably a little off. Gonna have my wiring buddy come over with his PC and check the ECU out.

So i've kinda been cleaning up wiring a little bit, and small little knick Knacks here and there. Driving it around little bit it feels really really good, even untuned feels very strong. Ill be taking it back to the shop early next week.

Side note sold my Daily today. A little bittersweet happy its gone but sucks to let it go. Couldn't stand how low it was. 

IMG_6763.thumb.JPG.4cbeea0d72b1259208aad68a309b19ce.JPG

Anyways anybody running the T3 camber arms? I kinda wan those. Want to run some negative degrees in the rear. Just a little bit lol.

Edited by joa_taste

Hmm what do you consider hot and lean?

It looks like you have a hose, but do you have a coolant overflow can?

I know my car would continually pee on the floor from expanding coolant, I imagine if it did that long enough it would not only loose thermal capacity, but loose the benefit a sealed pressure system. 

8AN is a good choice big enough for pretty much any semblance of sane power, although is that the nylon braid hose? Not sure how that stuff will survive under the car.

joa_taste    0
4 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Hmm what do you consider hot and lean?

It looks like you have a hose, but do you have a coolant overflow can?

I know my car would continually pee on the floor from expanding coolant, I imagine if it did that long enough it would not only loose thermal capacity, but loose the benefit a sealed pressure system. 

8AN is a good choice big enough for pretty much any semblance of sane power, although is that the nylon braid hose? Not sure how that stuff will survive under the car.

Hot: as in norm is 180-210 degrees F, and I'm creeping passed the 230s. No oil in the coolant, and vice versa. 

Lean: Im in the higher side of the wideband while on throttle the few times I've driven it. I definitely know I'm not running rich, so its more of an assumption.

My overflow reservoir is tubed out from the swirl pot, kinda tucked between the rad hosing and IC piping. Its definitely air tight, its sealed no leaks from anywhere, thinking its just a timing thing now. 

Thanks man, definitely was a better move upgrading to this setup. My bad yes its Nylon braided. Remember its almost to the bottom part of the car but not on the bottom.

Oh wow, yea that is hot haha. I'm holding steady at 185*F. 

Hmm would definitely be worth throwing a timing light at it then if for nothing more than piece of mind.

I meant survival in just the factor of debris and such. Even steel braid can suffer debris failure, but it is more or less oil resistant. The Nylon stuff can can become a bit brittle with heat and oil. 

Definitely jealous of all the room you have to run the fuel stuff with the cell in the car.

joa_taste    0
6 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Oh wow, yea that is hot haha. I'm holding steady at 185*F. 

I meant survival in just the factor of debris and such. Even steel braid can suffer debris failure, but it is more or less oil resistant. The Nylon stuff can can become a bit brittle with heat and oil. 

Definitely jealous of all the room you have to run the fuel stuff with the cell in the car.

Lol move your cell like mine, come to the dark side lol