HybridZ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So during a friendly basketball game some genius decided to get nut to butt against me as I jumped up for a rebound. Landed partially on his foot causing mine to roll and break my ankle. Good times. I've managed to finish getting the vvti line done, and started working on spark plug wires. Doing all of this with my knee resting on a chair makes this a slow process though.

hZgWg6i.jpg

Checked the fit with the AC compressor and it's good to go.

iqUxWdT.jpg

Edited by Geno750

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, Geno750 said:

So during a friendly basketball game some genius decided to get nut to butt against me as I jumped up for a rebound. Landed partially on his foot causing mine to roll and break my ankle. Good times. I've managed to finish getting the vvti line done, and started working on spark plug wires. Doing all of this with my knee resting on a chair makes this a slow process though.

Very nice engine build man! Looking forward to progress pics...

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Congrats on getting it in the bay.

I definitely did not like the shift, you can work a little bit of it out with swapping plates and inverting them, but it is still really apparent.

Does your turbo by chance use the 4 inch inlet?

Yeah it's the 4" inlet version. In thinking if I redrill the hole for the driver's side mount I can take care of a little of the lean.

I had to add some washers to the passenger to "push" the engine a bit over to the driver side in addition to lowering the driver side. Just a word of preperation, drilling through that thick of stainless was real bad. I burned out a bit and another one I took it extra slow and only made a 2mm dent.

Would you like a 45 degree elbow and some 4 inch clamps? I bought it for my BW turbo only to find they downsized the SX-E model by 1/2 an inch and the shipping back would have killed the price of the refund.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:24 PM, seattlejester said:

I had to add some washers to the passenger to "push" the engine a bit over to the driver side in addition to lowering the driver side. Just a word of preperation, drilling through that thick of stainless was real bad. I burned out a bit and another one I took it extra slow and only made a 2mm dent.

Would you like a 45 degree elbow and some 4 inch clamps? I bought it for my BW turbo only to find they downsized the SX-E model by 1/2 an inch and the shipping back would have killed the price of the refund.

I ordered clamps and an inlet coupler when I bought the turbo, but if I somehow break them I'll shoot you a message. I'm not looking forward to drilling this stainless crap, but I've got a friend with access to tungsten carbide bits and a press so hopefully they work. Going to be cutting the transmission mounting ears off the unibody next then shove the trans up and see what I'll need to make for a mount. Should be a fun weekend.

• 1 month later...

Well radiator stuff is done. Converted everything to -24AN after getting a free set of BMRS radiator hoses from a NASCAR team. -24 bungs are pretty cheap ($15ish each), -24 fittings, not so much.

bq3F6xG.jpg

Going to finish my engine mount modification and fuel system next.

• 2 weeks later...

So round two started this weekend. I wanted to see how much of the trans mount ears would need to be trimmed off the car. The simple answer is all of it. The TR6060 is a lot larger in that area. For anyone wondering about firewall clearance, there's tons of space.

e7u0BFg.jpg

Probably floor mounts, the TR6060 has provisions for the trans mount pretty far back, pretty much right under the opening for the shifter.

Here's an older pic with the Ford bellhousing (it's shorter now by about 1.25"). You can see the mount provisions next to the shifter.

6w2kr0c.jpg

• 3 months later...

So I've been doing more work on the drivetrain end of things and this Ford falcon transmission is more of an oddball than I thought. It uses a Magnum XL tail housing to allow for direct shifts and places the shifter further back than you'd want in our cars. Solution, buy a $250 take off from a T56 Magnum and swap it over. Only, life isn't that easy, you also need a main shaft too, and that's another $300. Good news is I'm still under $2k. Bad news is I get to swap main shafts on a transmission I've never worked on before.

Nice build Geno! I had no idea the cx racing mounts were that off center that’s nuts! The motor only has to be a smidge off for steering shaft cleanrance. 

Not sure if you’ll have the issue I did but I had to relocate my wastegate to clear the frame rail. But I think the 2jz block is a little thicker. 

2 hours ago, OverkillZ said:

Nice build Geno! I had no idea the cx racing mounts were that off center that’s nuts! The motor only has to be a smidge off for steering shaft cleanrance. 

Not sure if you’ll have the issue I did but I had to relocate my wastegate to clear the frame rail. But I think the 2jz block is a little thicker. 

I'm on a 1JZ block, but the way I have the WG done there's ample space there. I need to move the motor towards the driver side for more compressor housing space, it's very close to the shock tower, making the inlet pipe clearance a bit of a problem.

1 hour ago, Geno750 said:

I'm on a 1JZ block, but the way I have the WG done there's ample space there. I need to move the motor towards the driver side for more compressor housing space, it's very close to the shock tower, making the inlet pipe clearance a bit of a problem.

I understand why you got my crossmember :)