HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Geno750

1.2JZ into a 280Z build.

47 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Congrats on getting it in the bay.

I definitely did not like the shift, you can work a little bit of it out with swapping plates and inverting them, but it is still really apparent.

Does your turbo by chance use the 4 inch inlet?

Yeah it's the 4" inlet version. In thinking if I redrill the hole for the driver's side mount I can take care of a little of the lean.

I had to add some washers to the passenger to "push" the engine a bit over to the driver side in addition to lowering the driver side. Just a word of preperation, drilling through that thick of stainless was real bad. I burned out a bit and another one I took it extra slow and only made a 2mm dent.

Would you like a 45 degree elbow and some 4 inch clamps? I bought it for my BW turbo only to find they downsized the SX-E model by 1/2 an inch and the shipping back would have killed the price of the refund.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:24 PM, seattlejester said:

I had to add some washers to the passenger to "push" the engine a bit over to the driver side in addition to lowering the driver side. Just a word of preperation, drilling through that thick of stainless was real bad. I burned out a bit and another one I took it extra slow and only made a 2mm dent.

Would you like a 45 degree elbow and some 4 inch clamps? I bought it for my BW turbo only to find they downsized the SX-E model by 1/2 an inch and the shipping back would have killed the price of the refund.

I ordered clamps and an inlet coupler when I bought the turbo, but if I somehow break them I'll shoot you a message. I'm not looking forward to drilling this stainless crap, but I've got a friend with access to tungsten carbide bits and a press so hopefully they work. Going to be cutting the transmission mounting ears off the unibody next then shove the trans up and see what I'll need to make for a mount. Should be a fun weekend.

Well radiator stuff is done. Converted everything to -24AN after getting a free set of BMRS radiator hoses from a NASCAR team. -24 bungs are pretty cheap ($15ish each), -24 fittings, not so much.

bq3F6xG.jpg

Going to finish my engine mount modification and fuel system next.

So round two started this weekend. I wanted to see how much of the trans mount ears would need to be trimmed off the car. The simple answer is all of it. The TR6060 is a lot larger in that area. For anyone wondering about firewall clearance, there's tons of space.

e7u0BFg.jpg

Probably floor mounts, the TR6060 has provisions for the trans mount pretty far back, pretty much right under the opening for the shifter.

Here's an older pic with the Ford bellhousing (it's shorter now by about 1.25"). You can see the mount provisions next to the shifter.

6w2kr0c.jpg

So I've been doing more work on the drivetrain end of things and this Ford falcon transmission is more of an oddball than I thought. It uses a Magnum XL tail housing to allow for direct shifts and places the shifter further back than you'd want in our cars. Solution, buy a $250 take off from a T56 Magnum and swap it over. Only, life isn't that easy, you also need a main shaft too, and that's another $300. Good news is I'm still under $2k. Bad news is I get to swap main shafts on a transmission I've never worked on before.

Nice build Geno! I had no idea the cx racing mounts were that off center that’s nuts! The motor only has to be a smidge off for steering shaft cleanrance. 

Not sure if you’ll have the issue I did but I had to relocate my wastegate to clear the frame rail. But I think the 2jz block is a little thicker. 

2 hours ago, OverkillZ said:

Nice build Geno! I had no idea the cx racing mounts were that off center that’s nuts! The motor only has to be a smidge off for steering shaft cleanrance. 

Not sure if you’ll have the issue I did but I had to relocate my wastegate to clear the frame rail. But I think the 2jz block is a little thicker. 

I'm on a 1JZ block, but the way I have the WG done there's ample space there. I need to move the motor towards the driver side for more compressor housing space, it's very close to the shock tower, making the inlet pipe clearance a bit of a problem.

1 hour ago, Geno750 said:

I'm on a 1JZ block, but the way I have the WG done there's ample space there. I need to move the motor towards the driver side for more compressor housing space, it's very close to the shock tower, making the inlet pipe clearance a bit of a problem.

I understand why you got my crossmember :) 

^Huh that seems to have a bit of an interesting tilt to it. Like leaned over to the passenger side and the center line tilts from towards the driver side front to back. Is it because the transmission is not in or the picture is off center?

More progress on this stupid gear box. Finally found a shop that can help, they're quite unsurprisingly in Australia. They hooked me up with an input shaft which I'll have in my hands sometime next week. Also, after more comparing, my tail housing, per Tick Performance, is one they've never seen before, but all the castings on the Magnum when it comes to where stuff goes, lines up with what I've got. The only exception being the shifter rail, due to the better for me shifter placement. The TUET7270C gear box has an almost identical mainshaft, it's a tad under 20mm longer. Which matters not one bit, because you need a custom driveshaft when using one of these in a Datsun anyway.

KxYInJA.jpg

Here's a better set of pictures explaining why I think OverkillZ's picking up the late John C's mount is helpful. I'm running an almost bigboy turbo, and you can see the issues I'll run into as I start the downpipe and inlet for the turbo. The motor needs to lean towards the driver side if it's going to lean at all, and needs to shift more towards the driver's side.

OjB8Y2U.jpg

ODrPk1a.jpg

1 hour ago, Nelsonian said:

Geno, I'm curious what exhaust manifold you are using.

Greddy large runner manifold from their T88 turbo kit. I cut the 4 bolt wastegate flange off and welded a 50mm v-band on it.

10 hours ago, Nelsonian said:

Even though I am not at the point of choosing my turbo just yet, I am always keeping an eye out for what works on others builds, Thanks.

The Suprastore manifold is basically a copy of what I'm using with the option to use whatever wastegate you want, or none if going with an EFR turbo.

Gearbox fun continues. Removed the stock transmission mounts on the car. Need to at least buy the correct shift rod. The current one is too long to let the Magnum housing seat all the way. So no test fitting for a bit.

S8dPeOZ.jpg

5aVPaew.jpg