HybridZ

Little Heartbroken about perfect swap that never was..

ericp501

Went to go have the nice guy in the yard pull the motor for me.  The jerk was there again, used a ton of profanity and while speaking to the other person in the yard said something along the lines of "F@#$ that guy, I'm selling the f#$@ing car".  The nice person apologized and I gave them my number and said to give me a call if anything changes.

I'm just gonna take this as the universe saying I shouldn't get that motor.  Something else will come along.

• 1 month later...

Glad I didn't get that car/engine.. looking back on it, it was coming out of a junkyard with no title or anything.  It was at a premium price, guy was a jerk, and I knew nothing about the history.  I could have had a car shipped from seatle to NJ for about the same price as what that guy was asking.  I've already found a few leads for running cars in better shape at lower prices with title.. so I guess it all worked out.

I've heard constantly about the mythical cheap turbo Z's, but I spent nearly two years searching for a turbo Z31 that wasn't $5k+ and finally gave up.   I don't know where people find these supposedly cheap cars, but from what I have seen most junkyards have little to no Z parts much less turbo Z's.   I've been watching CL ads for about a year now and two turbo ZXT's popped up for $2500 each, different sellers.   Neither car ran and from the pictures they were both severely rusted and I doubt either one was worth it.    There were no other ZXT's for under $9k.    Then a few days ago an ad for "Z parts" popped up and I texted to find out if they still had a turbo zxt engine and tranny they were advertising.   The transmission was already gone but they still had the engine.   They were asking $500 and I didn't even hesitate.   I got there as fast as I could and loaded it up.   

I've spent a fair amount of time on craigslist and ebay hunting parts, and maybe ten years ago some of these deals could still be had.   But I think the days of these $400 turbo Z cars are long gone.   Kind of pisses me off when I'm researching my turbo swap and they talk about they picked up a turbo distributor for $40 or some crap and I have never even seen one in a junkyard, CL ad, or ebay at all.   

The guy was a jerk, no doubt.   But honestly, based on my experiences hunting parts, I would have given him $2k for the car to shut him up and taken it and still felt pretty lucky.   Maybe I'm just not lucky searching or maybe it's just Texas..     The guy I just bought my engine from was an amazing man that I thoroughly enjoyed talking to and was a pleasure to see his Z cars and just talk about our experiences.   That was definitely not my normal experience with trying to get Z parts.   Sorry to hear what happened to you and hoping you find what you are looking for!  I definitely know how it feels hunting and coming home empty handed.   Best of luck!!

• 2 months later...

I found my donor finally..  Had been looking almost everyday on forums, craigslist, and ebay since starting his post.  Finally found a guy about 90 miles from me with 2 z's for sale one of which was turbo.  He was hoping to sell both as he needed them gone.  I made him an offer on just the turbo for a fast pickup, cash, on a trailer.  Shook hands well below what the junkyard guy wanted.  Plus this car runs, has a title, and is in 10x better shape with tons of usable/sellable parts.  Very happy the junkyard deal fell through, but sad a perfectly good turbo motor is rotting away in tall grass.

Lol. I saw that on Craigslist. They both look really nice. I told my buddy to jump on it but I guess he is too late.

Glad he didn't, the turbo was a deal for sure.  The other one the guy has thats non-turbo has an awesome body with really good parts, I just have no use for it.