HybridZ

Thinking of an epic engine swap

FHPfounder1

So in California, as of January 2017, anything 1980 or older will be exempt from smog. With that being said, I bought a 79 datsun 280zx. I'm thinking of taking the twin turbo engine out of my wrecked (got t-boned by some kid on his phone) 300ZX and putting it into the 280. Any positive input is appreciated.

So in California, as of January 2017, anything 1980 or older will be exempt from smog. With that being said, I bought a 79 datsun 280zx. I'm thinking of taking the twin turbo engine out of my wrecked (got t-boned by some kid on his phone) 300ZX and putting it into the 280. Any positive input is appreciated.

I guess I haven't been paying that close of attention, but did they reinstate the rolling exemption?  I thought it stopped several years ago at 1975...

Edited by TimZ

Re California SMOG Law Change

California Legislation S.B. 1239 came up for vote in June 2016, but did not get enough votes to pass.

Sorry if I'm being dense - does this mean that the original post was incorrect, or did something else happen?

So yes, in California the cut off is still1975 and older.

But it is not a show stopper. As long as the engine swap  meets the emission requirements for the chosen car and the engine you can get a smog sticker from the state that makes the car legal. Much discussion in the various forums and you can Google for the detailed rules.