HybridZ

Oil Pan Removal w/Engine In Car 1978

Mayolives

I removed my pan in my 240z and installed the AZC pan as well. I recall pulling the pan was fairly straightforward. I jacked the engine up a bit after loosening the front mounts and tied the engine off by the hood latch. From there just carefully maneuvered the pan out around the pickup. Installing the AZC pan with the engine in the car was a different story though but also doable.

I believe that I've done it without removing anything but the pan bolts and the perhaps the pickup tube bolts.  Remove all the pan bolts, wiggle and position the pan until it either comes free, or you can remove the pickup tube bolts with an open ended wrench.

• 6 months later...

Easy------Peezy....................I removed the motor mount bolts then jacked the engine up a few inches.  After I removed all the pan bolts, I had to reach between the block and the pan, remove the two bolts that secure the oil pick-up, and then was able to remove the pan.  I have the AZ pan and don't know how this would work with the stock Nissan pan.  Having to replace the pick-up bolts was a bit of a challenge.  It just took a little patience.  But really not that difficult.